View Full Version : can i cut my headphones cable?

mv
03-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Just bought a koss spark plug headphones for my ipod. They sound great, BTW. But the cable is too long. Can i cut it and use a new plug? I hate the "L" shaped one.

Brad Adrian
03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
It kinda depends. If the cable looks like a single, round cord, then it'll be very tough. If it looks more flat, with multiple strands, you might be able to cut it and install your own plug.

But, I've never had luck restoring cut headphone cables before. My daughter's stupid pet rabbit chews on them like carrots and has cost me several good pair of headphones.

mv
03-21-2007, 11:09 PM
It has two strands... and of course i`ll send it to someone qualified for the job. But will they sound the same?

Sven Johannsen
03-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Even the round ones typically have two independent insulated wires in them, surrounded by a stranded shield. If you are good at it, or know someone who is, cutting and putting on a new plug shouldn't be a big deal. The right tools do make the job easier. Won't change the sound any.

Cybrid
03-22-2007, 06:31 AM
...shouldn't be a big deal. The right tools do make the job easier. Won't change the sound any.Not always. Some cabling has filament thin strands with fiber (polyester?) stuffing. Not easily worked.

isajoo
03-22-2007, 07:13 AM
i have done this a few times...end result is not too pretty. if they are not TOO long just fold them at the plug end until at desired length and tightly wrap with black electronic tape. its just easier and plus u never know when u will need it to be longer...ex. i have cargo shorts with pockets on the sides but much lower then normal. it helps to have a longer cord.