View Full Version : What is the best ebook reader

fmvela
03-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Hello,

I have a XV6700 running WM5 and am looking for best reader software. I went to Pocket Gear and checked out ereader but it indicated it doesn't work with devices with phones...

Any suggestions?

Nurhisham Hussein
03-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi, welcome to PPCT!

I have a XV6700 running WM5 and am looking for best reader software.

Best is awfully subjective - most considerations for e-book software depends not on the software itself, but the availability of books for it. You'll find that it's pretty rare for most ebook publishers to support more than a couple of formats. Why this nonsensical state of affairs exists isn't because one software is superior to another, but rather which DRM (digital rights management) protocol the publisher is comfortable with (and is willing to pay the license fee to support). If you're like me and look for the broadest range of books, then you'll want to have more than one ebook software - I most usually use Mobipocket (which also does non-DRM ereader books) and Microsoft Reader. This really isn't much of a problem as most ebook software (as opposed to ebooks) are free.

I went to Pocket Gear and checked out ereader but it indicated it doesn't work with devices with phones...

ereader does support your device - the old Microsoft terminology (there's a new one now) is that there are two general types of Windows Mobile devices. Smartphones (non-touchscreen devices) use a slightly different OS to that used in Pocket PCs and Pocket PC Phones. eReader works just fine in Pocket PC Phones.

hamishmacdonald
03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I just went through this search myself, now that the Microsoft Reader plug-in for Word no longer works (with the introduction of Word 2007).

In the end, I chose Mobipocket Reader, partly because it's an excellent e-book reader, and also because they provide a publisher-level e-book creator (as well as a simpler version). As a self-publishing author, and also as someone who just likes to take long texts along with him in a bookmark-able format, this was the perfect solution.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp?Language=EN

fmvela
03-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the info.

Hx4700
03-20-2007, 05:48 PM
1. eReader (was called Palm reader)
2. Mobipocket reader (very close second)
3. Anything else but MS Reader
99 Microsoft Reader

Between 1 and 2 is very close. Just preference.

For getting ebooks - Fictionwise has very good discounts and specials in their newsletter and the membership option has even more.

JMHO...
Ron...

Ratel10mm
03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Personally I really like uBook. It's big advantage is that it can cope with a variety of formats, and also with Zipped e-books.

McDeHack
03-31-2007, 10:18 AM
I just went through this search myself, now that the Microsoft Reader plug-in for Word no longer works (with the introduction of Word 2007).
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp?Language=EN
Ah Ha. And I thought it was that I had messed up the prog. That explains why I cannot convert my word files to .lit. I spent many hours last evening trying to sus it out. I have posted for help on another thread.

Kaaeed
06-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi Guys

I am going away on a business trip on monday and wanted to get some reading material on my new Orange SPV 3100.

I spent 6 hrs of trying to get microsoft reader to work over the weekend & I finally gave up this evening. What a way to spend the weekend!!

Anyways downloaded mobipocket and within 10 mins had downloaded and purchased 2 books and was viewing it happily.

Thats is how life should be!!

I think that is all I need to say I think.

Kaaeed

Scarpad
06-20-2007, 02:18 PM
MS Reader can be a pain especially with reactivation, so I've stayed mainly with Mobipocket.