View Full Version : GPS monitoring software

isilver
03-14-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm looking for some good GPS software that will monitor all my movements while biking. The stats that I am looking for be acceleration, deceleration, 0-20k in so many second. How long it takes to finish the quarter mile. Just tons of stats.

I would also like to be able to export this information into excel so I can create my own stats.

What I have to work with is a Dell Axim X50v with PPC 2003. I also have a bluethooth GPS by qstarz. I also have tomtom navigator 6 on my pocketpc so any integration into that program would be awesome.

Note: I have tried Run GPS trainer but their is some sort of incompatibility with my gps device.

Brad Adrian
03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure, but you may be limited by the timing of the readings taken by most GPS software. I don't recall the exact default interval, but most apps only take GPS readings every 15-30 seconds or so, which is probably not going to give you the resolution you need.

Now, the way I ride my bike, that might be enough...!

Cybrid
03-20-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure, but you may be limited by the timing of the readings taken by most GPS software. I don't recall the exact default interval, but most apps only take GPS readings every 15-30 seconds or so, which is probably not going to give you the resolution you need.

Now, the way I ride my bike, that might be enough...!I think you mean 2-3 seconds. Only Pocket Streets in the older versions had such an egregious refresh rate. The real problem is civilian GPS has an error rate of approximately 15 cubic metres even with enhanced WAAS data.
Several other things like multi-pathing can also seriously affect results. You'd be better off with a stop watch and a manual odo-meter. Pocket Excel has a vehicle mileage template that would be easily adapted to this.

Brad Adrian
03-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I think you mean 2-3 seconds.
Really? Goes to show how much I know about GPS. I was just going by how the little dots on Mapolis show up, but the data itself must be collected much more often than it seems.

Thanks!