View Full Version : PDAMill's iGo map software: WOW!

hamishmacdonald
03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
I just received the PDAMill -- or I guess they're called NavNGo now -- navigation software title "iGo Europe 2006" on an SD card (http://www.i-go.com). Here's a quick mini-review:

Pros:

- This is a totally subjective judgment, but -- this thing kicks TomTom's butt from here to Sunday. TomTom Navigator 5 was clearly made for the ease of the developer, so it could be ported, unchanged, to as many devices as possible. As such, I found it very awkward to use on the Pocket PC. iGo isn't a standard Pocket PC application, taking over the whole screen, introducing its own button hierarchy, and so on, but it feels like it was made to run on my Windows Mobile device -- or even that my WM device was made to do this!

- Adding TomTom maps involves switching between several CD-ROMs and installing from the desktop. iGo comes with the whole of Europe on a single SD card. No special installation, no activation.

- It works as a stand-alone map without a GPS unit. TomTom was very GPS-dependent, and difficult to use without hooking up my Bluetooth GPS unit, which, frankly, is often more bother than I want. Looking at a map is often sufficient, but TomTom constantly complains about the lack of a GPS signal. iGo, on the other hand, is happy in either mode.

- The interface is stunning. Big, easy-to-read, intuitive, and very snazzy. The maps have several different views, and update instantly as you make changes or zoom in or out.

Cons:

- It was very expensive (164.46 Euro). I'm very happy I like it, or I would have felt like a real sucker on this one.

- It was hard to find. (The only dealer I found was here: http://unbelievable.pt/)

- It comes as a MiniSD card in an SD adaptor, which doesn't pop out easily from my Acer n311.

- I know that the creators are showing a new 2007 version at CEBit, so I may have jumped the gun on this one. But I'm going travelling next month, and this app is amazing as it is.

disconnected
03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I've been waiting to see the US version before deciding what to get to replace Mapopolis. I hope it's announced this week.

martin_ayton
03-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Cool - I have long regarded TomTom as the worst system except for all the others, perhaps iGo breaks that mould. If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

Can't recall if you have a converged device... if you do, does iGo play nice with the 'phone? Trying to make or take a call on my BT headset whilst TomTom is running and talking to the BT GPS will crash the 'phone or the bluetooth or both.

My Vario2 (aka Hermes) takes micro-SD cards :grumble: with a card reader, could I copy from the mini-SD, or is there a way to 'install' from CD?

Does iGo have any form of traffic monitoring? I don't currently use this TomTom service, but I had planned to. Knowing about traffic congestion and attempting to route around it is a very nice-to-have feature. I can't find any mention of it on the iGo site (which is simplicity to use compared to the TomTom nightmare)

Looking forward to your replies. Keep us posted on your experience.

hamishmacdonald
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Questions? No problem!

1) No, my device is not a converged device. There's no phone, and my GPS unit is external. I haven't tried the GPS yet (an old silver TomTom Bluetooth one) because it's a faff to connect to or get a signal with, and I've been trying out the maps indoors -- which, yay!, I can do.

2) The program is locked to the card. While this means you're free to move it to another device, I believe you're restricted to using the card provided.

3) I'm not aware of traffic monitoring in the program. I don't think it would have that feature, because it only communicates with GPS; other than that, it's a closed system (i.e. it makes no Internet connections).

martin_ayton
03-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Okay, thanks. I've emailed iGo's support team about installation on a machine with a micro-SD card - I'll post here if and when I get a response.

disconnected
03-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Okay, thanks. I've emailed iGo's support team about installation on a machine with a micro-SD card - I'll post here if and when I get a response.

I emailed them a month or two ago asking about the US version. I'm still waiting for a reply, so I'll be interested to hear if you get one.

ToddJ
03-31-2007, 03:08 AM
does anyone have any more screenshots (especially of night mode)?