View Full Version : setting up ISP

travlnphil
03-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I have just purchased an HP iPAQ 2495. This is the first iPAQ I have owned that is wireless/wifi capable and I'd like to go to ome hot spots to try it out, but don't know the first thing about setting it up to get on the net. Is there a forum/step-by-step, etc that can explain the ins and outs of this?

Cybrid
03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I have just purchased an HP iPAQ 2495. This is the first iPAQ I have owned that is wireless/wifi capable and I'd like to go to ome hot spots to try it out, but don't know the first thing about setting it up to get on the net. Is there a forum/step-by-step, etc that can explain the ins and outs of this?There is an excellent guide; http://wifi.aximsite.com/ that'll help. While written for the Dell Axim, it will explain most of what you would need. The differences would be mostly in OEM stuff like Dell's having a wireless button and a wireless utility different from that of the Ipaq.
The basics if needed.

WiFi (802.11b) has limited range (hotspot) and works by replacing the wires between you and the router (internet sharing device) connected to an ISP (Cable or DSL) with radios in the 2.4Ghz range.
For it to work, both router and client have to be configured to the right router SSID, channel, speed, encryption and have the right set of permissions to connect. (Yea, its actually more complicated but this is a basic reference.)
Most newer PDA's (2495 included) running WM2003 and later will negotiate most of that automatically. The PDA will scan and query all routers within range and prompt you as to which one to connect to. A bubble pops up "New network(s) detected. Connect to: A,B,or C?" follow the prompt.
A second bubble asks "Network "A" connects to: work or internet." Select work/ more on this later.
An additional bubble will pop up asking for the network encryption key if needed. That's really all there is to it.

There are some gotchas to be aware of;

Range is important, you need to be within 100m or less of the router.
Encryption algorythms from different manufacturers don't always mesh. Use the HEX whenever possible for ease of use. (all non HEX passwords are converted to HEX, anyway.)
Some commercially run hotspots charge ludicrous amounts of money but on the brighter side have fancy javascript heavy sign up pages that don't work well on Pocket Internet Explorer. Third party software may be required.
For consistency and reliability, Work as network type seems to work best. Chris Herrera at www.pocketpcfaq.net has an article describing the differences between internet vs work.
Start>settings>connections tab>connections>advanced tab>select network(s): My work network.