View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.5 says my server is always busy - suggestions?

martin_ayton
03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I had a HDD crash 10 days ago so, when I was reinstalling everything, I decided in a rash moment to put AS4.5 on my system instead of 4.2 which had been working fine. I'm beginning to regret that... My PPC connects just fine but I always get an error on the synchronisation. It is support code 85010017 'The server is busy.' Well, the server can't always be busy. It doesn't make any difference if I am connected to my network or working offline, or if I have Outlook open or not. Browsing the file structure on the PPC from the PC is fine, and running AS-reliant software such as SideWindow works OK.

Should I uninstall 4.5 and go back to 4.2 or is there a simpler solution?

Thanks,

Martin.

ChristopherTD
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I have had no luck solving this problem, almost all AS 4.X versions seem to suffer from it at some point.

I have discovered that it is related to the sync of email (at least on my machine). If I disable the sync of email then I never see the error.

Once the error has happened the sync of email is broken anyway, even when you manage to sync successfully it only syncs the top level folder of email from Outlook. All subfolders are ignored.

I don't know if I just have too many email messages for it to cope with, but I have to live without Outlook email messages on my PDA. POP3 mail works fine while I am away from home, I just can't read my recent Outlook mail.

martin_ayton
03-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks Christopher. In my case it isn't linked to email sync, because I never sync email: I download work email via IMAP and I never managed to end up with just the one mailbox between IMAP downloads and direct sync via AS, so I abandoned the AS bit.

Looks like I need to make a bit of time tomorrow to uninstall 4.5 and try again with 4.2.

I'm not a programmer, but seriously how hard can it be for MS to write some working sync software between a PC running an MS OS and MS software and a PPC running an MS OS and MS software?? <wanders off muttering angrily>

martin_ayton
03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Well, I uninstalled 4.5, installed 4.2 and everything is working. Sync over bluetooth is definitely slower under 4.2, but I can live with that.

Oddly, I noticed that whilst 4.2 asks for the PPC password, 4.5 never did that and I'm beginning to wonder if that is the cause of the 'server busy' error. Christopher, if you're still reading this, do you have a password set on your PPC? What happens with ActiveSync if you (temporarily) disable it?