View Full Version : Synch Questions

Mike Woodland
03-03-2007, 04:51 AM
I hope I found the right forum to answer some questions for me. I have looked under support on MS, but to no avail. I may simply be missing what is right under my nose, but

I have two main issues:
1.) We are running MS Exchange 2000 – not 2003. It appears this limits my ability to active synch wirelessly. If I use a VPN to access our network, will I be able to fully sych? Since we running a spam filter which we didn’t yet configure for outgoing mail as well as incoming mail I can’t even POP3 my mail.

2.) How do I synch folders such as a second contacts or calendar? It appears I can only synch the default ones in Outlook, and I use a second one of each I need to synch as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Nurhisham Hussein
03-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Hi Mike, welcome to PPCT!

I can't answer your first question, but as to your second - you can't, unfortunately, at least not with Activesync. It might be possible with some third party sync tools, but I can't confirm that one way or the other.

Mike Woodland
03-05-2007, 02:57 AM
I appreciate your response -

The calendar issue i will make due with, somehow. For the contacts, i copied everything into the main folder - not ideal, but at least i got it for now.

I think i found the server 2000 vs 2003 mainly prevents the new direct push - which i'm not worried about. It appears the issue is running the spam filter because that prevents direct access to our server. With the huge amount of spam we get i can't remove that filter. Though i would have to think this is a common enough scenario there must be a solution!
Anyone have any idea where i might find some solultion??

Nurhisham Hussein
03-05-2007, 03:54 AM
I appreciate your response -

The calendar issue i will make due with, somehow. For the contacts, i copied everything into the main folder - not ideal, but at least i got it for now.

The recommended way around this is to apply categories to your contacts and appointments - that way you can filter based on categories on board your device to get the subdivision that you want. Not ideal if you've never used them before and you have lots of both, but it is a decent workaround.

Mike Woodland
03-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks Nurhisham,

When we first set-up our server, each person's 'contacts' folder was used as their own, not the company's. So we have a folder called contacts which is the more "personal" contacts of each staff person, then we made a "store contacts" which is the common/public folder. Probably a bad thing on our set-up.

I've been told Active Synch won't synch over wifi - do you know if I use an iPaq (or any PDA) if there is a mechanism for synching over wifi - it seems Versizon may be locking me out of doing it over the wifi so i have to buy their data time...

Someone also suggested emoze - which i have never heard of and i'm sure my IT guy won't like the thought of....

Nurhisham Hussein
03-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I've been told Active Synch won't synch over wifi - do you know if I use an iPaq (or any PDA) if there is a mechanism for synching over wifi - it seems Versizon may be locking me out of doing it over the wifi so i have to buy their data time...

If you're talking about exchange sync, I think wifi will work - it's only when syncing directly with a PC that it's blocked. I could be wrong though.

Cybrid
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
(It works here, no problem. If the Exchange Server is inside the same network as the Wi-Fi access point, then you have to be sure the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) for your Exchange Server has a DNS entry on your private DNS pointing to the correct internal IP address. Public IP address will not work well because it will actually point to your router (or other device), not the server.

Also, make sure when connecting to the Wi-Fi for the first time you select "Internet" not "Work". Work is only for when there's no "." in the domain names (in private networks),
which is not the case most of the times.

If you don't have your own DNS server within your network then you might want to use a program such as Pocket Hosts to add an entry to the hosts registry on your Pocket PC - but remember to uncheck the box when outside this network so that your HTC Apache can find the Exchange Server again from an external network. Source (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=6133)
WiFi sync is removed from AS4 and later.
The ability to sync to your PC via a remote TCP connection was removed. The
device is still capable to sync against an Exchange server over any TCP
connection (WIFI, Ethernet, GPRS, etc). You may want to look into the IIS logs.
The IIS logs will be on the Exchange server. You may want to engage your
Exchange IT people to figure out what the problem is.

You may want to do a sanity check first and ensure that your device is
configured correctly first. Is your proxy configured correctly on the
device? (IE. Can you browse other websites?)
Maybe that'll help. I'm curious to know the answer.

vanwykl
10-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I currently sync (with excange server) my HTC710s VOX mobile phone Outlook (Windows Mobile 6) perfectly via WiFi when i am in our offices and conncted via Wifi to our internal network. In this case my Mobile has an ip address provided by our own DHCP cerver and i can abviously access the exchange server and its IP address.
At home I have a permanent internet connection (broadband) and wireless router to give wifi access at home. Currently I simply use standard Microsift VPN via PPTP to access our office network from home via my Laptop Computer (or any other computer for that matter, via wifi internet , and any Wifi acces point in the world).
I want to to the same thing with my mobile using the mobile VPN option. I have added and configured VPN under Start/Settings/Connections/VPN. I had to chose/answer/privode thye same type of details as for my Laptop VPN. I called the VPN connection e.g MYVPN. I also added under Connections/Menu/Advanced - "Work URL exception" simply the name of the VPN connection e.g MYVPN. Active sync however does not work-I think it because its not going through the VPN
How do I tell my mobile to use or route or passthrough the VPN instead of normal internet.