View Full Version : HTC "No Upgrades" Rumour Debunked

Jason Dunn
03-02-2007, 02:45 AM
I saw this over on <a href="http://www.pocketfactory.com/2007/02/19/htc-wont-offer-windows-mobile-6-upgrade-to-customers/">PocketFactory</a> and it made me raise an eyebrow:<br /><br /><i>"Bad news for current HTC users running hardware powered by Windows Mobile 5; you won’t be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. According to a response from HTC to an inquiry from a P3600 user requesting information about a possible upgrade for his device, the company says they will not offer any upgrades to current users, but will produce WM6-powered devices this year. Translation: If you want Windows Mobile 6, buy our new products."</i><br /><br />Zero upgrades? That seemed extreme, even for a company that doesn't always provide upgrades for all devices. I asked Jason Gordon, Senior Manager of Communications for HTC America, for an official response to this, and he sent me this:<br /><br /><i>"HTC and its carrier partners will have Windows Mobile 6 upgrades available for a variety of recently released devices. We will continue to work with these partners to provide additional upgrades based on market need."</i><br /><br />No further details, but it seems obvious that HTC will have <i>some</i> upgrades to Windows Mobile 6 coming out. Good news for all of us!

stllhogan
03-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I was scared when I started to read this, I almost stopped looking at HTC as a company that I would take business with in the future. I might not get an HTC next time but that depends on the device, if they weren't going to offer an upgrade to any devices I was just going to drop them.

Darius Wey
03-02-2007, 03:36 AM
"Bad news for current HTC users running hardware powered by Windows Mobile 5; you won’t be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. According to a response from HTC to an inquiry from a P3600 user requesting information about a possible upgrade for his device, the company says they will not offer any upgrades to current users, but will produce WM6-powered devices this year. Translation: If you want Windows Mobile 6, buy our new products."

I heard this rumour earlier in February and took it with a grain of salt. With an announcement of an upcoming upgrade for the Dash made at 3GSM, it was clear that this rumour wasn't 100% factual. It's good to see Jason Gordon shedding a bit of light on this matter.

Paragon
03-02-2007, 03:43 AM
"HTC and its carrier partners will have Windows Mobile 6 upgrades available for a variety of recently released devices. We will continue to work with these partners to provide additional upgrades based on market need."

No further details, but it seems obvious that HTC will have some upgrades to Windows Mobile 6 coming out. Good news for all of us!

......I think you guys are reading far too much into this. That's marketing speak if ever I've heard it. In marketing speak "variety" means "very limited"

Dave

Rex
03-02-2007, 08:50 AM
From HTC 2 days ago:

"If you are interested in purchasing an unbranded HTC device with Windows Mobile 5.0, then to upgrade this to Windows Mobile 6.0. We are currently awaiting an official response from our Head Office on the matter of ROM updates from Windows Mobile 5.0 to Windows Mobile 6."

SmithAtlanta
03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Man, I'm getting that whole Dell Axim vibe again...... I guess I'll have to enjoy it using the emulator. :(

kiwi
03-02-2007, 04:12 PM
hooray!!!!

Maybe my S620 wont be outdated before its officially out (in Canada!)

;)

Spanky
03-02-2007, 04:17 PM
When I spoke to an principal engineer/chief of HTC (which I trust) in Barcelona he said they would not provide WM6 upgrades due to the cost. But ofcourse, perhaps some operators are willing to pay the price..

Spanky

Jason Dunn
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
When I spoke to an principal engineer/chief of HTC (which I trust) in Barcelona he said they would not provide WM6 upgrades due to the cost.

Hmm. Interesting. Techcanilly both statements could be correct: HTC will release Windows Mobile 6 upgrades for HTC devices that have been re-branded by carriers...but they will not release Windows Mobile 6 upgrades for any HTC-branded devices. That could be quite ugly actually.

With HTC going from ODM to front-line seller, they're going to be dealing with customers in a new way - and if they don't offer upgrades for their own branded devices, well, they may be in for an ugly surprise.

Paragon
03-02-2007, 07:09 PM
HTC will release Windows Mobile 6 upgrades for HTC devices that have been re-branded by carriers...but they will not release Windows Mobile 6 upgrades for any HTC-branded devices. That could be quite ugly actually.

I think that's exactly what Jason Gordon is saying in that statement.

With HTC going from ODM to front-line seller, they're going to be dealing with customers in a new way - and if they don't offer upgrades for their own branded devices, well, they may be in for an ugly surprise.

Why should there be a surprise? How are they any different than pretty much all the other OEMs? Exactly how many others have released upgrades in the past, and exactly how many do you think are going to offer one this time, that's going to put HTC in a category of their own?

In the past HP, and Dell have released upgades, and have been crapped on for it because the upgrades did not work out well, or they withdrew, or severely delayed it's release. Eten put one out last time, for just one device....so the category HTC would be putting itself in is far from exclusive.

Dave