View Full Version : Windows Mobile 6 Upgrades Available for Free to Existing Vendors?

Jason Dunn
02-28-2007, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,13678' target='_blank'>http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/i...on=expand,13678</a><br /><br /></div>I'll just quote Mike from our sister site:<br /><br /><i>"Everyone has been wondering if their device will see an update to Windows Mobile 6. In the past, very few manufacturers and carriers have gone down that path. There's a significant cost required in buying the new license and customizing it for the device and of course, testing it on the device and networks. Hopefully things will be different this time. We've just learned that Microsoft has given a free license to vendors who will upgrade their devices. So I think it's clear that Microsoft understands the frustration that all of us feel when a new OS is released and are trying to change things. It's expected that HTC will offer upgrades for any device with a keyboard - as all of you Dash/Excalibur users are already aware. Unfortunately we don't know what Motorola or Samsung plan to do about this. The ball is in the carriers and manufacturers court. Let's hope they don't drop it.</i><br /><br />If that's the case, I wonder if we'll see more upgrades from WM5 to WM6 than we did from 2003SE to WM5? I sure hope so!

Foo Fighter
02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Free for vendors to offer as upgrades to existing customers. Whether or not vendors will offer said upgrades is another matter. I've had my eye on an HTC P3600 (Trinity) for some time, but until I know for certain whether HTC will offer such an upgrade path to Windows Mobile 6 I won't purchase it or any other WM device.

Now would be a good time for vendors to publicly disclose upgrade strategies to customers, or risk losing sales. I know I'm not alone in my thoughts.

Menneisyys
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Free for vendors to offer as upgrades to existing customers. Whether or not vendors will offer said upgrades is another matter. I've had my eye on an HTC P3600 (Trinity) for some time, but until I know for certain whether HTC will offer such an upgrade path to Windows Mobile 6 I won't purchase it or any other WM device.

Now would be a good time for vendors to publicly disclose upgrade strategies to customers, or risk losing sales. I know I'm not alone in my thoughts.

HTC has, to the knowledge of some XDA-Dev forum members (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1135447&amp;postcount=13 ), stated two weeks ago they won't release a WM6 upgrade to any of their currently available WM5 models, not even the comparatively new Trinity.

Hope they do change their mind (which, franky, I really doubt.)

paschott
02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll have to dig up another post from the XDA-Developers where they strongly hinted that Wizards would be supported by carriers to upgrade to WM6.

I do hope that an official release is made. There are all sorts of WM6 beta ROMs floating around for HTC devices, but an official one would be much better (not to mention supported). :D

I appreciate that MS has killed the licensing cost for this upgrade. Of course, the profit motive is still to force customers to buy a new device rather than support existing ones so we'll see what actually happens. If they do decide to go that route, I'll probably hold off until the WM7 devices are available. I just can't afford to drop $400 or so every year on an upgraded device. My iPaq lasted me for 3+ years and would still be going now (despite HP's lack of even providing 2003SE for it) if I hadn't bought my Wizard. Knowing that the Wizard can run WM6 and actually runs faster on WM6 - I'd prefer to have the upgrade to tide me over.

Still think that MS should come up with a way to de-couple the WM OS from the device a little better and change specs somewhat to have hardware drivers that aren't completely tied to the OS version. Let us upgrade the OS directly and the carriers provide the drivers to make it work with their devices. As long as the drivers work with later OS's or new drivers are released, we can upgrade. Similar to the way we work with our PC's.

-Pete

JonnoB
02-28-2007, 10:00 PM
HTC has, to the knowledge of some XDA-Dev forum members (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1135447&amp;postcount=13 ), stated two weeks ago they won't release a WM6 upgrade to any of their currently available WM5 models, not even the comparatively new Trinity.

Hope they do change their mind (which, franky, I really doubt.)
This is one of the reasons there has been rampant WM6 underground distribution.

Paragon
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Man, this is getting old. Every new OS release brings about a crap load of posts, threads, rumors, announcements for upgrades , and announcements withdrawing upgrade announcements. Every time it ends up the very same way. A couple of devices get $100 dollar upgrades, 6 months after new devices have been on the market and the other 98% get what they paid for. Nothing.

Nothing against, Mike, Jason, or Thoughts, but I'll believe this when it happens....and if someone has a hat, send it to me. I'll eat it. ;)

Dave

Foo Fighter
02-28-2007, 10:47 PM
WM6 ROMs are floating around for the Hermes, but I am not aware any such ROM exists for Trinity. There is a custom WM5 ROM that enables the onboard GPS radio, which is cripped by default.

Frankly the Trinity has proven to be the most mismanaged product HTC has ever released. Months after its official release, one of its most coveted features (GPS), a feature that was cloaked in secrecy, remains non-functional. So, Trinity users, not only aren't you getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6...you're not even able to use the GPS feature already built-in! Not unless you resort to installing community supported underground ROMS, which is risky and not for the faint of heart. :evil:

I won't recommend HTC products from this point forward.

jpf
03-01-2007, 02:24 AM
I doubt whether microsoft gives a rats ass about users frustrations.
competition from other vendors is what I would expect to be microsofts motivation.

crispeto
03-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Personally I think it would be a great shame not to release WM6 for all the devices that can run it smoothly. I'm safe with my Dash but I think Blackjack, 8525, and Q owners should get it too. Bottom line: if the device can handle it, I say give em' the upgrade!

Menneisyys
03-01-2007, 07:39 AM
WM6 ROMs are floating around for the Hermes, but I am not aware any such ROM exists for Trinity. There is a custom WM5 ROM that enables the onboard GPS radio, which is cripped by default.

Frankly the Trinity has proven to be the most mismanaged product HTC has ever released. Months after its official release, one of its most coveted features (GPS), a feature that was cloaked in secrecy, remains non-functional. So, Trinity users, not only aren't you getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6...you're not even able to use the GPS feature already built-in! Not unless you resort to installing community supported underground ROMS, which is risky and not for the faint of heart. :evil:

I won't recommend HTC products from this point forward.

Both Dopod and HTC have recetly (in February) released a ROM upgrade that introduces GPS support. (I've posted several articles on my blog on the new ROM versions with XDA-Dev links.)

Unfortunately, the Trinity is still, even with these upgrades, suffering from some major problems (exceptionally high A2DP and touchscreen CPU usage), which HTC seems to be unable to fix.

Menneisyys
03-01-2007, 07:46 AM
BTW, if you need WM6's best features (for example, the new RDP client), you can install them even onto your WM5 phone too. "Unofficially" as of yet though. Hope MS will also release these clients as separate, accesssible-officially-to-everyone downloads.

JonnoB
03-01-2007, 07:51 AM
BTW, if you need WM6's best features (for example, the new RDP client), you can install them even onto your WM5 phone too. "Unofficially" as of yet though. Hope MS will also release these clients as separate, accesssible-officially-to-everyone downloads.

Except for those who will wait patiently for the OEM or carrier to release WM6 for purchase or free, many are flocking to pre-release or hacked ROM updates. I have seen more than a few HTC Wizards for example running Crossbow... and you know what? From what I have seen, this underground community seems to be doing as good if not better job at releasing solid updates. I am told it is at least as stable as WM5 and actually runs faster. I would be happy to spend some $ on an update, but won't be surprised to see many people somehow loading one of these 'crossbow underground edition' type roms. I hope that HTC and other manufacturers do the 'right thing' and release an update - free or for fee... just have it available.

JonnoB
03-01-2007, 07:53 AM
BTW, if you need WM6's best features (for example, the new RDP client).

I personally find that the potential for HTML email to be one of the best features... not sure if we will see that soon as a download/update to WM5 (doubtful). While I do not yet have an Exchange 2007 server to take advantage of HTML via server activesync, the Hotmail (Windows Live) email service in WM6 supports HTML... and it now supports push too.

inteller
03-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Somehow I dont see ATT offering an upgrade for the 8125, 2125, or Blackjack. Doing so would give their customers value which they arent in the business of doing.

*******s will probably come out with an 8625 that will be identical to the 8525 but have WM6.