View Full Version : iPhone Interface on a Pocket PC: Impressive

Jason Dunn
02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpP1_79rhQ8' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpP1_79rhQ8</a><br /><br /></div>No, this isn't turning into an iPhone site, but this video will interest any Pocket PC user. Check it out.<br /><br /><object width="400" height="3325"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpP1_79rhQ8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpP1_79rhQ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><br /><br />We'll never see it released in any wide way because of what Apple's lawyers would do this this guy if they caught him, but it's impressive to see what he's created. I wonder how he did it? Is it all Flash-based or something else? And would you be willing to give up the ability to see all the information at a glance that you get with the current Today Screen for some extremely nice eye-candy like this? There's always <a href="http://software.pocketpcthoughts.com/product.asp?id=10499">Spb Mobile Shell</a>.

elisnook
02-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Apple's lawyers would do this this guy if they caught him id=10499">Spb Mobile Shell</A>.

Sorry I couldn't help it, the above is just too funny. Anyways, lets get back to the post, why doesn't Apple have an iTunes app for pocket pc. Or do they? They have one for Windows Xp. I prefer iTunes over WMP. I would actually use it somewhat on my pocket pc.

Jason Dunn
02-28-2007, 08:01 PM
...why doesn't Apple have an iTunes app for pocket pc. Or do they? They have one for Windows Xp.

Simple: the only portable device Apple wants you buying is an iPod. They will not license their ironically named "FairPlay" DRM to anyone.

signothefish
02-28-2007, 08:04 PM
I know the interface could be designed with PPX. However, the scrolling capability would need to be implemented by a third party vendor, which could be you if you are a programmer.

Foo Fighter
02-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Shouldn't this be titled "iPhone Interface on a Pocket PC: Impresive?"

indiekiduk
02-28-2007, 08:18 PM

How about "iPhone Interface on a Pocket PC: Impressive"

T-Will
02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Very cool stuff.

Jason Dunn
02-28-2007, 08:20 PM

Yup. Fixed. My bad.

Jason Dunn
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
How about "iPhone Interface on a Pocket PC: Impressive"

Wow, I'm really screwing up today. ;-) Fixed. I wish Firefox would spell check ALL form fields though...I need the help!

ricksfiona
02-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Wow, that's really impressive. Now, you could get the iPhone interface and still use your 3rd party apps 8-D. This would be one application I would GLADLY pay for. The dial-pad implementation is pretty cool. I would think a Text Message Client would work equally well on this setup with an on-screen keyboard. I hope he releases it.

adamz
02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Haha! They got an old copy of pPod on there too! Nice!

Rod3
02-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Wow, that's really impressive. Now, you could get the iPhone interface and still use your 3rd party apps 8-D. This would be one application I would GLADLY pay for. The dial-pad implementation is pretty cool. I would think a Text Message Client would work equally well on this setup with an on-screen keyboard. I hope he releases it.

I'd pay for it, too! I'd pay a good bit for it! I'll bet he sells it somehow. Hope I find out how.... :twisted:

SteveHoward999
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
If I wanted an iPhone so durned bad I'd just buy one!

Rod3
02-28-2007, 09:55 PM

I don't want one THAT bad. Not for what it's going to cost. But it would sure be fun to play with that app.

Damion Chaplin
02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I just want that scroll feature. That would be cool even for a mouse on a desktop PC.

T-Will
02-28-2007, 10:17 PM
I just want that scroll feature. That would be cool even for a mouse on a desktop PC.

It would be great even if iTunes just scrolled smoothly on PC... :?

Mexico
02-28-2007, 10:24 PM

And what if you didn't want one so darned bad, but you could enjoy some of the benefits for a small fraction of the cost, plus the convenience of having all in one device?

With all due respect, I think you're missing the point here. Just like there are emulators for NES, GameBoy, Atari or Palm - just to name a few - it's no surprise there is one for the iPhone interface. It's a mix of W?BIC and the convenience of carrying only one device that offers multiple interfaces/functionality. Not very many devices allow you to do this.

Peace!

Mexico (who doesn't own anything iPod, and is not a "fanboy" of any sort)

felixdd
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
iWant.

SteveHoward999
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM

And what if you didn't want one so darned bad, but you could enjoy some of the benefits for a small fraction of the cost, plus the convenience of having all in one device?

Time is money. Time taken to develop that is probably more than it would cost to get the iPhone. That's my point.

Of course everyone else here is thinking ... cool I could get that of this hard-working enthusiast for free ... or just $20 or so. Different perspective.

Peseta
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM

Actually, I have this on the touchpad of my Asus A7T notebook.
I often use it with long webpages, long Word-documents, large folders and playlists.

I believe Logitech also has it available on 2 types (with the scrollwheel).

It would also be nice on a PPC, and I remember having this functionality(sort of) with scroll-/activatebutton on the side way back with a Compaq Aero and later with a Casio E-200.

And Sony had the jog-shuttle wheel.

Mexico
02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Time is money. Time taken to develop that is probably more than it would cost to get the iPhone. That's my point.

Of course everyone else here is thinking ... cool I could get that of this hard-working enthusiast for free ... or just $20 or so. Different perspective.

Ah! You were speaking from the developer's perspective. It makes more sense now. Even then, there are more ways of retribution than purely financial.

Time is money, but sometimes time should be just that, time - a concept that I learned to appreciate by growing up in a diff. culture where leizure has a higher value.

Mex

ctmagnus
03-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Actually, I have this on the touchpad of my Asus A7T notebook.
Dells have it too.

I believe Logitech also has it available on 2 types (with the scrollwheel).
Yep. Scrolling through a long page with one flick of the touchpad/scrollwheel is a blast. 8)

Dyvim
03-01-2007, 02:38 AM
I have an eTen M600 that I would just love to run that Interface on. If for no other reason than just playing around with it.

WyattEarp
03-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Impressive... most impressive. I'd get it, it's very cool indeed. From a creative point of view there are times when it's just fun to do such things because you can and you enjoy just that, creating.

kucau
03-01-2007, 07:02 AM
why dont u guys go to the developer site and beg the developer to release it early and free HEHEHEHE.

this iphone interface will be release on July 2007 and i dont think it will be free . the dev may have to be ready for apple action . hehehe. it was written using PPL1.20.

no blog site or ppc site give credit to the real source of this info( which is the developer site) . what a shamed . i blogged this on my site and give credit the the REAL source site.

this is the developer site

http://tzywen.com/modules.php?name=News&amp;file=article&amp;sid=331

Nurhisham Hussein
03-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Even then, there are more ways of retribution than purely financial.

You mean remuneration, right? :)

Anthony Caruana
03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
For those in Australia (there must be at least one other Aussie other than Darius and I) I wrote a piece for Australian macworld on skinning a Pocket PC to look like an iPhone. It's in the edition on the news stands at the moment.

Cheers

wocket
03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Very cool. Nice to see someone using PPL it's a great little programming languagel. I wonder though if he can do an iPhone pinch to scale images ;)

ricksfiona
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM

No way... Except for it's beautiful design, everything else about it stinks. No 3G and no 3rd party apps... Oh yeah, that's something I'll sink $500+ on... Like buying a car that can only take one brand, one size tires and can only go 45mph...

bigray327
03-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Nice.

I thought I'd point out that as far as the Today screen interface is concerned, this capability exists today with Wisbar Advance Desktop. It's a resource hog and is hard to set up, but it really is good at completely customizing the interface. Someone posted an iphone skin here (http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10036).

Take care,

- Ray

bigray327
03-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Here's the guy's web site...
http://tzywen.com/modules.php?name=News&amp;file=article&amp;sid=331

kornalius
03-02-2007, 04:14 AM
Wow, nice to see some really cool development done in PPL.

I am the PPL developer and I am very impressed with what this guy has come up with.

I hope to see the whole interface released to the public.

To know more about PPL visit http://www.arianesoft.ca/page.php?1

PPCRules
03-02-2007, 09:54 PM
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Apple Inc.

Figures. YouTube wimps.

k1darkknight
03-05-2007, 11:29 PM
...mix of W?BIC and the convenience...
I SO need to make a bumper sticker that has, in huge, bold letters:
W?BIC
(hmmmm...wonder if Ohio would let me put a "?" on my license plates...)

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Apple Inc.
Figures. YouTube wimps.
Eh, I dunno...I wouldn't want to take on Apple over something like that, either...Besides, we're talking about the same company that sued the Beatles' company "Apple Corps, Ltd" over the name, and use of an apple as their symbol. :roll:

erratic
03-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Eh, I dunno...I wouldn't want to take on Apple over something like that, either...Besides, we're talking about the same company that sued the Beatles' company "Apple Corps, Ltd" over the name, and use of an apple as their symbol. :roll:

While I realise that it is important to bash Apple at every opportunity, it would be nice if that could be done using actual facts, rather than a near-fatally mangled version thereof.

A simple two second search would have improved your knowledge of the situation to the point where you'd know that Apple Computer didn't sue Apple Corps for the use of the name or the logo. In fact, Apple Computer hasn't ever sued Apple Corps. It's been the other way round every single time.

I'm not in a position to comment on whether Apple Corps suits had any merit, because I've not looked into it for a while.

:roll: indeed.