View Full Version : Dell Axim R.I.P...For Real This Time?

Jason Dunn
02-22-2007, 02:15 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilitysite.com/2007/02/dell_rumor_update_rip_dell_axim.php' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilitysite.com/2007/02...p_dell_axim.php</a><br /><br /></div>There have been quite a few rumours circulating about the fate of the Dell Axim over the past 12 months, but none have even been confirmed by Dell. Chris Leckness over at Mobility Site has posted an update that seems credible:<br /><br /><i>"I just got off the phone with an internal Dell PR employee. I asked the questions we all wanted to know and got the answers we didn't want to here. To answer the Dell Phone rumor I just posted on, Dell has no immediate plans to launch a Dell Branded Phone. They do carry unlocked phones, PDAs, and other consumer electronics from hand picked top of the line companies though. The hiring of the Motorola Exec was announced officially last week...The rumors circulating about the a Dell Portable Gaming system had already been squashed, so that leaves only two questions unanswered...1. Is Dell working on Tablet PC? I didn't ask this, I forgot, but I still think this is going to happen personally. 2. What about the Dell Axim? Bad news here. The rumor I posted about last week is the verdict. Once the current Dell Axim offerings are gone, they are gone. This is the 1st time in the last year that I was able to get an official response related to the Dell Axim line of handhelds."</i><br /><br />The entire industry is moving toward phone-based devices, which we all knew, and Dell doesn't seem to want to step into that space. I can't blame them - they know what a nightmare dealing with the big carriers can be, and if they can't make money selling non-phone Axim devices, they'll just jettison the whole thing. That's what they did with their line of MP3 players, so it's not surprising to see history repeat itself. I'll mourn the loss though - the Axim line was always reasonably priced, and offered great hardware. The X51v is still one of the nicest pure-PDA style devices ever made. You can guess what this means for Windows Mobile 6 upgrades though...not going to happen (in my opinion at least).

bbarker
02-22-2007, 04:12 AM
The entire industry is moving toward phone-based devices, which we all knew...
I hate this trend. I still prefer two devices, a phone and a Pocket PC that can use that phone as a modem. Maybe someday I'll be interested in a PPC phone, but for now I'm going to try to keep my Dell Axim X50v going as long as I can.

Paragon
02-22-2007, 05:16 AM
Even if it's not a surprise, it's still very sad to hear. The Windows Mobile community owes a lot to Dell. What they did with the Axim line was incredible. At a time when the latest iPaqs were retailing for $800 Dell launched the Axim X5 for under $300. That move changed the face of WM at the time. We saw a lot of new users because of that. It's also incredible to think that the x51v which is 2-3 years old now is still one of the best devices on the market.

BTW, for any Canadians who may be interested, today I received a flyer from Dell, and they have the X51v on for $399 CND.....it may be your last chance. ;)

Dave

Sven Johannsen
02-22-2007, 06:42 AM
That's a shame. Without doing much (add the hardware for soft keys) even the current X51 would make a nice WM6 platform. My wife's and my X50s are still going strong. She uses her's constantly, prefering two devices and I have purchased an 8G CF card for mine making a darn good portable entertainment platform.

Probably have to consider snatching up some X51s to hedge against hardware failure at some point, and take advantage of the WM5 memory architecture.

stllhogan
02-22-2007, 07:17 AM
I like straight pda's better none-phone (not sure why) but the cellular data is the part I like, wifi is nice but not enough coverage for the portability that makes a pda so great. I'm thinking of getting the axim x3i or x30, maybe the Toshiba genio 8xx. I always loved the look of the x3 series.

Mitch D
02-22-2007, 07:22 AM
It's a shame that Dell is going this way but as others have alreay said it is not surprising. I for one will mourn the Axim's passing, I have enjoyed both my X50v and X3i. But I must admit I finally took the plunge and moved over to a converged device (Moto Q).

inteller
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I dont understand why Dell cant offer unlocked WCDMA phones. They have enough industry pull that if they offered them on the menu companies would buy them in droves. They have a unique position to offer a phone stripped down of carrier customization crap and offer corporations the control over their phones that they want. Just imagine a phone with all the OpenManage goodies on it to monitor and control Dell server and storage systems.

Dell, you are messing up by not doing this.

BarryB
02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I dont understand why Dell cant offer unlocked WCDMA phones. They have enough industry pull that if they offered them on the menu companies would buy them in droves. They have a unique position to offer a phone stripped down of carrier customization crap and offer corporations the control over their phones that they want. Just imagine a phone with all the OpenManage goodies on it to monitor and control Dell server and storage systems.

Dell, you are messing up by not doing this.

I'd love to see them sell those devices. I'll probably be forced to buy a smartphone at some point when my X50 bites the dust. I don't want to pay a monthly fee just to have a PDA, so an unlocked phone would be great for someone like me. I'll have to pay a premium in both price and weight for the hardware, but I can live with that. By not having to pay $40 to $50 per month for phone service, I'll easily pay off the price premium in a couple of months.

elisnook
02-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Not news for me or my colleagues,

We've known this since June of last year, I don't know why it took so long for this site, dedicated to giving the news first to post this. I kept on seeing posts as to speculation if it would happen. I just thought it was hilarious how it took this long for someone to figure this out. Our company has been discussing switching to HP's and now are considering Symbol or Socket's new line coming out soon. Our system rely's on handhelds specifically. Symbol may be expensive but it is a good, durable device. I can't wait to see Socket's new handheld, hopefully the price is decent.

Jason Dunn
02-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Kind of a snarky first post. :? Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts anyway. ;-)

Not news for me or my colleagues, We've known this since June of last year, I don't know why it took so long for this site, dedicated to giving the news first to post this. I kept on seeing posts as to speculation if it would happen. I just thought it was hilarious how it took this long for someone to figure this out.

I was pretty clear in my post that it wasn't a surprise - we all knew it was happening - but Dell has been very tight-lipped about actually confirming it to the public. Yes, the sales channel will tell their customers, but in terms of a PR person giving the official Dell party line...this was the first time I've heard the statement from them. So that's why it was news-worthy, if only to be the final nail in the coffin we knew was being built for the past year...

Brad Adrian
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree that it's too bad. I've gotten really hooked on my Wizard and the convenience it offers, but I still keep my X51v synched and grab it from time to time, especially for gaming.

The X51v, IMO, is the nicest PDA-only device out there and I hope Sven keeps some spare parts for me. ;)

ADBrown
02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Not news for me or my colleagues,

We've known this since June of last year, I don't know why it took so long for this site, dedicated to giving the news first to post this.

Perhaps because despite dozens of people like yourself claiming inside knowledge, no one has ever provided verifiable evidence of having such information, despite all requests.

IpaqMan2
02-23-2007, 01:27 AM
The entire industry is moving toward phone-based devices, which we all knew...
I hate this trend. I still prefer two devices, a phone and a Pocket PC that can use that phone as a modem. Maybe someday I'll be interested in a PPC phone, but for now I'm going to try to keep my Dell Axim X50v going as long as I can.

I totally have to agree here. I've always preferred having a true PDA device over a converged device. Even though I have been using one for over a year (and truly do like it's convienance), I'd still take a PDA and a phone that can be used as a modem via bluetooth.

I for one never believed a PDA's function should come at the cost of a monthly service fee like it is now with converged devices and the carriers that control them..(even though converged devices can still act as stand alone pda's - truth is no one would ever spend the money to use one as such), and second I never cared much for phone companies controlling how and what Pda's will be used and which ones they will sell. I had always hoped pdas would take off to be the next portable platform not a glorified OS for phones, but be independent from the controlling arm of carriers. Kinda makes me wish more people paid attention to Carl Yankowski's vision for the future of PDAs back in the day when he preached it. (if you don't know who or what I'm talking about than your just not geeked enough).

JesterMania
02-23-2007, 02:35 AM
I for one never believed a PDA's function should come at the cost of a monthly service fee like it is now with converged devices and the carriers that control them..(even though converged devices can still act as stand alone pda's - truth is no one would ever spend the money to use one as such)

I'm not sure what you mean by the PDA's functions coming at a monthly service fee. You said it yourself that converged devices can act perfectly as stand-alone PDAs, so the functions that you pay a monthly fee for are phone functions and don't really belong in the realm of original PDA functionality. Everything non-phone can still be used for free. A Pocket PC phone edition really is just a plain PPC, but with phone functionality added on. Now if you're talking WM5 Smartphone, then that's different.

I never cared much for phone companies controlling how and what Pda's will be used and which ones they will sell.

It helps more if you're in the GSM/UMTS realm where you can use unlocked phones. Of course though, you buy them at non-subsidized pricing but still, just to be clear on the fact that you really aren't limited to what your phone company offers, unless you are on a CDMA network.

elisnook
02-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Kind of a snarky first post. :? Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts anyway. ;-)

I was pretty clear in my post that it wasn't a surprise - we all knew it was happening - but Dell has been very tight-lipped about actually confirming it to the public. Yes, the sales channel will tell their customers, but in terms of a PR person giving the official Dell party line...this was the first time I've heard the statement from them. So that's why it was news-worthy, if only to be the final nail in the coffin we knew was being built for the past year...

:?: Thats the problem with text you don't know what I was trying to say, and it wasn't snarky. But anyways. I was just saying that I knew "for sure" it was done but I understand that you have to post so people know. Didn't mean to come off rude. Peace.

elisnook
02-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Perhaps because despite dozens of people like yourself claiming inside knowledge, no one has ever provided verifiable evidence of having such information, despite all requests.

Well sorry you feel that way but I have known :D :mrgreen:

TOCA
02-23-2007, 10:18 PM
This is truly the sadest news, for a long time, eaven if we all saw it comming :cry:

The most amasing thing about the x50/51 series is, that after 3+ years it's still makes top 10 of PPC's of all times (Top 5 IMO) on the specs side, being one of the last with dual memory slot, and one of the first wit accelerated VGA, and 624MHz CPU.

It will surely be missed in the future, and talked about by oldtimers, like the Compaq Jacket system, and other legends :roll:

Maybe HTC them self will make the upgrade, now that they've dumped Dell as a costumer?? :?

Jonathon Watkins
02-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Shame. :| My X5 and X50v served me well. I've just received my XDA Orbit, so I was following the trend-line for this anyway. I just prefer to cary one device these days.

jlp
02-24-2007, 04:23 AM

A Pocket PC phone edition really is just a plain PPC, but with phone functionality added on.

Not quite so: PPCPE are mini PPC with a tiny screen (usually half the screen surface) with a quarter the rez compared to the top PPCs (that means therfore QVGA vs VGA).

The smaller size also means that instead of 2 standard card slots (CF &amp; SD) you get a single crappy substandard one like miniSD or microSD (Except Eten devices which still use one standard SD slot, but I'm not sure if it's still the case and for how long); crazy move, these devices are large enough for a standard SD that's SO much MORE capable (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10533&amp;start=0&amp;postdays=0&amp;postorder=asc&amp;highlight=).

JesterMania
02-24-2007, 05:49 AM

A Pocket PC phone edition really is just a plain PPC, but with phone functionality added on.

Not quite so: PPCPE are mini PPC with a tiny screen (usually half the screen surface) with a quarter the rez compared to the top PPCs (that means therfore QVGA vs VGA).

The smaller size also means that instead of 2 standard card slots (CF &amp; SD) you get a single crappy substandard one like miniSD or microSD (Except Eten devices which still use one standard SD slot, but I'm not sure if it's still the case and for how long); crazy move, these devices are large enough for a standard SD that's SO much MORE capable (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10533&amp;start=0&amp;postdays=0&amp;postorder=asc&amp;highlight=).

Although I do see where you're coming from you're basically comparing subjectively say, the power of an Axim x51v to that of let's say an XDA Atom. A typical PPC PE has a 2.8" screen so if that's "half the screen surface" then normal PPCs would have 5.6" screens? 8O I think most PPCs have screens around 3.5" or so. Also, there are still quite a few plain vanilla PPCs which don't have VGA screens, my hx2790 being one of them.

My point was basically this: disregarding 624MHz vs 400MHz, 3.5" screen vs. 2.8" screen, etc. etc. that a PPC PE still remains a full PPC, but with phone functionality added on. However, whether the PPC PE has the power you're looking for is another question. :wink: Taking a look at some of the upcoming line-up such as the O2 XDA Flame, it seems like PPC PE power may just be catching up with "plain" PPCs.

ADBrown
02-24-2007, 08:51 AM
A typical PPC PE has a 2.8" screen so if that's "half the screen surface" then normal PPCs would have 5.6" screens? 8O

Actually, he's right: a 2.8 inch screen is roughly 56% of the size of a 3.7 inch screen. A 5.6 inch screen would be four times the size of a 2.8 inch display.

My point was basically this: disregarding 624MHz vs 400MHz, 3.5" screen vs. 2.8" screen, etc. etc. that a PPC PE still remains a full PPC, but with phone functionality added on. However, whether the PPC PE has the power you're looking for is another question. :wink: Taking a look at some of the upcoming line-up such as the O2 XDA Flame, it seems like PPC PE power may just be catching up with "plain" PPCs.

Meh. The Flame is nice, but for a few things. One is that regular PPCs had most of these features (or could have) years ago. Two is, it's of course never going to come to North America, so a lot of us are already frozen out. Third is that, at least for me, you lose a lot of functionality going from 624 MHz to 200 or maybe 400, 256 MB to maybe 40 free, and CF &amp; SD slots to a single MicroSD. It may run the same software, but it doesn't have the same power.

And last but not least, am I the only person left who prefers a small, simple, elegant phone? The most complicated one I'm willing to live with is the Qtek 8500 I have. I'd not enjoy at all using a PPC as a long-term phone.

jlp
02-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Although I do see where you're coming from you're basically comparing subjectively say, the power of an Axim x51v to that of let's say an XDA Atom. A typical PPC PE has a 2.8" screen so if that's "half the screen surface" then normal PPCs would have 5.6" screens? 8O I think most PPCs have screens around 3.5" or so. Also, there are still quite a few plain vanilla PPCs which don't have VGA screens, my hx2790 being one of them.

I said screen SURFACE, my friend, which is calculated by length by width. Double the diagonal means FOUR TIMES the screen surface. So half the screen surface (which I said) IS NOT half the screen diagonal.

My point was basically this: disregarding 624MHz vs 400MHz, 3.5" screen vs. 2.8" screen, etc. etc. that a PPC PE still remains a full PPC,

You're funny you know. Basically you say: "disregarding the differences they're the same" :roll:

It's those differences that makes today's PPCPE LESS capable and LESS featured and why most posters here still prefer theit FULL featured PPC.

PPCPE are NOT full PPC if they have LESS features and LESS capabilities. Would you say a bike has full vehicle capabilities compared to a car? Same here.

Paragon
02-24-2007, 03:24 PM
PPCPE are NOT full PPC if they have LESS features and LESS capabilities. Would you say a bike has full vehicle capabilities compared to a car? Same here.

jlp, I think you have missed Jesters point. The Phone Edition OS is no less a PPC than a Classic Edition. It is the hardware that has been designed for most that is different.

There are Phone Edition devices with 3.8" screens, 500-600mhz processors, as well as features such as keyboards that a Classic Edition don't have. Personally I would say there are Phone Edition devices that put Classsics to shame. Is there a classic that can compare to the Universal, Athena, 7150 iMate, or the rumored Omni?

JesterMania
02-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I said screen SURFACE, my friend, which is calculated by length by width. Double the diagonal means FOUR TIMES the screen surface. So half the screen surface (which I said) IS NOT half the screen diagonal.

Actually you're right on that one. I totally forgot that the measurements were diagonal, I guess that explains why I was never at the top of my math class hehe. :mrgreen:

My point was basically this: disregarding 624MHz vs 400MHz, 3.5" screen vs. 2.8" screen, etc. etc. that a PPC PE still remains a full PPC,

You're funny you know. Basically you say: "disregarding the differences they're the same" :roll:

It's those differences that makes today's PPCPE LESS capable and LESS featured and why most posters here still prefer theit FULL featured PPC.

Thanks for finding my post hilarious, although I wasn't even making any effort to be. :roll: I guess you don't understand my point on that one and I won't belabor on this further as I seem to have partially derailed this thead into a PPC vs PPC PE one 8) . To each his own...

chakablazy
02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
i have a dell axim x50 with a broken screen. its difficult getting the screen in my country. can anyone by any means help me get the screen and is it advisable to repair it? i really need it.

Jason Dunn
02-27-2007, 09:20 PM
i have a dell axim x50 with a broken screen. its difficult getting the screen in my country.

Try contacting the folks at PPC Techs:

www.ppctechs.com

They do all sorts of repairs, they might be able to help you out.

Joelacrane
02-28-2007, 01:40 AM
*Sniff
*Sniff

I was really hoping for a WM6 upgrade for my x51v... Now, I know it just isn't going to happen. Such powerful hardware, but old firmware to hold it back.

I wonder if HTC would be good enough to make us updates and sell them to us for 50 bucks or so? I'd buy.

It may seem like Dell is making a stupid decision, but I'm sure they have done to math.

ipaq_wannabe
03-06-2007, 12:08 AM
after having read through the thread - i was kinda thinking...

now that the X51V had dropped in prices (at least here in Japan) - would it be a good idea to get them NOW...?

maximus
03-09-2007, 02:56 AM
now that the X51V had dropped in prices (at least here in Japan) - would it be a good idea to get them NOW...?

Well, if the possibility that there will be no future upgrade to WM 6 is of no concern to you, then maybe it is a good time to get one =)

I still have an axim X5 somewhere on my garage. The only reason I stop using it was ... After using WM 2003 on my O2 XDA 2s, there is no coming back to WM 2002. Everything looks simply uglier =)