View Full Version : Any good linux?

mv
02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
It´s not that i´ll pay to upgrade my pc to vista, and for vista also, so since xp runs so slow on my old hardware i´m thinking about linux... but...

- is there an itunes alternative for my ipod?
- Active sync replacement?
- Anything else i should know?

isajoo
02-27-2007, 09:35 AM
i dont own an ipod(ppc is just so much more) but do u want itunes features or just to make the ipod to sync to linix OS? sorry if the Q's weird, i thought ipods are basically usb memory sticks with a headphone jack.

mv
03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
i Dont want itunes, i just want to sync my drm- free mp3`s

Cybrid
03-22-2007, 06:59 AM
It´s not that i´ll pay to upgrade my pc to vista, and for vista also, so since xp runs so slow on my old hardware i´m thinking about linux... but...

- is there an itunes alternative for my ipod?
- Active sync replacement?
- Anything else i should know?
No activesync, possible work arounds.
No iTunes, but there is Yamipod (http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/) If it was a generic mp3 player you could use it as a basic memory stick.
Learning curve is high but worth it.
Try a live cd. www.damnsmalllinux.org
Some more XP like experiences can be through more commercial stuff like Red Hat and Linspire.

mv
03-22-2007, 07:56 PM
what about freespire? the free version of linspire. Is it good?

CTSLICK
03-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I have only the most rudimentary Linux skills but I've had good luck installing Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/). Easy install with good hardware recognition and setup. Very nice user community on their forums that are willing to help newbies without the sarcasm and venom often seen from some of Linux zealots.

Tom W.M.
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I second the recommendation of Ubuntu. I installed it quite recently, and I have to say that I prefer it to XP.

I know that a number of Linux jukebox applications include iPod support. As I don't own an iPod myself, I can't speak to their capabilities.

You may have problems with ActiveSync.

Also, if you have a Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse, be warned: they won't work in Ubuntu out of the box, and setup is a real pain (for me the magical incantation was sudo apt-get remove bluez-utils).

Cybrid
04-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I second the recommendation of Ubuntu. I installed it quite recently, and I have to say that I prefer it to XP.

I know that a number of Linux jukebox applications include iPod support. As I don't own an iPod myself, I can't speak to their capabilities.

You may have problems with ActiveSync.

Also, if you have a Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse, be warned: they won't work in Ubuntu out of the box, and setup is a real pain (for me the magical incantation was sudo apt-get remove bluez-utils).Out of curiosity, I downloaded the 6.1 live CD and ran it. Absolutely beautiful! Ran live from CD and installed all my hardware other than the scanner and printer. Couldn't mount my WinXP NTFS volume (possibly my error)...I don't know CLI at all. mount /dev/hda0 or hda1 didn't work. "Device not found in /etc/fstab or /etc/mstab" error
SyncCe and MultiSync similarily didn't work. I guess some "studying" is in order.
I'm curious...how are you syncing? Apparently SyncCe and MultiSync are buggy.

Tom W.M.
04-04-2007, 12:22 AM
When you install Ubuntu it will automatically mount your NTFS volumes as read-only. Apparently the NTFS situation on Linux such that writing to NTFS is considered dangerous because all the support is reverse-engineered (NTFS isn't open).

The error that you are seeing is because of permissions. Adding the drives to the specified file should solve the problem. See the Ubuntu support wiki for more information.

As for syncing, I don't, myself. I actually own a MobilePro 780 H/PC, and I don't use any of the features that require syncing on it anyway.

Cybrid
04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
When you install Ubuntu it will automatically mount your NTFS volumes as read-only.
That's only if I install but not from live CD? Yes, I did read some documentation re:NTFS volumes and linux. From live cd, I have no access to the drive? I wasn't going to write to it, only read.

Tom W.M.
04-05-2007, 07:07 AM
When you install Ubuntu it will automatically mount your NTFS volumes as read-only.
That's only if I install but not from live CD? Yes, I did read some documentation re:NTFS volumes and linux. From live cd, I have no access to the drive? I wasn't going to write to it, only read.
The steps in this article (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountNtfsOnBoot) should work to mount them from the live CD. (Though, of course, the changes won't persist to the next booting.)

mv
04-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks, im very happy using ubuntu 7.04 now! no more viruses, spyware... its even better and nicer than i expected. And it was easier to install than windows, i did have to install only one driver, the video card, everything else worked with no setup from me. :D