View Full Version : Restoring a 'dead' iPAQ 4150

rickPPC
02-17-2007, 04:39 AM
Forgive me if you've already read this on Usenet but I figured I'd get a better response here.

I am trying to 'revive' a dormant HP iPAQ H4150 which has laid unused for sometime. After charging the battery and docking it with the PC it originally synced with I was disappointed - but probably not too surprised - to find that it was not recognised and ActiveSync 3.8 insisted I establish a new partnership with it. This is frustrating because, via Explore, I can see some of the apps I installed on the iPAQ (although they do not show up under Programs).

I have three questions:

1/ Is there are hope I can restore my iPAQ to its original settings or should I 'bite the bullet' and start again?

2/ Are there any important upgrades/changes I may have missed in the period (1 year - 18 months) the iPAQ has remained unused? As said, AS 3.8 on my PC, Pocket PC 2003 on the iPAQ.

3/ Is there a better way that AS to backup the full contents of my PPC to ensure this situation never happens again?

Thanks.

ADBrown
02-17-2007, 08:52 AM
1/ Is there are hope I can restore my iPAQ to its original settings or should I 'bite the bullet' and start again?

Not unless you had a backup file stored in flash memory. The RAM would have been wiped, neccessitating either a clean install or restore from a backup.

2/ Are there any important upgrades/changes I may have missed in the period (1 year - 18 months) the iPAQ has remained unused? As said, AS 3.8 on my PC, Pocket PC 2003 on the iPAQ.

Not that I can think of, but you might check the HP support site. I do know that there's no OS version upgrades, and probably no significant reason to upgrade ActiveSync.

3/ Is there a better way that AS to backup the full contents of my PPC to ensure this situation never happens again?

There are many excellent backup programs such as Sprite Backup, Spb Backup, and others.

rickPPC
02-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Many thanks. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions - but it's good to hear it from someone who knows.

Time to start rebuilding!