View Full Version : ipaq 3850 + gps options

ipaq3850
02-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I want to set up a GPS system in my car. However, the standalone GPS solutions out there cost more money than I really want to spend. I was wondering what sort of options are available to me.

I have a iPAQ 3850 running Pocket PC 2002
It does not have Bluetooth
It has an SD slot built in (I have several 1GB cards) and I have an expansion sleeve that can take PCMCIA cards and a CompactFlash (CF) card.

What GPS solutions would you recommend? Thanks a lot :mrgreen:

I want something that has voice prompts as well.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Hi, welcome to PPCT!

First, there's no need to double post your question - most will see your first one just fine. It also causes thread fragmentation (replies everywhere) which is bad forum etiquette, so I've deleted your other post so any replies will be posted here.

Second, you've got two items you need to get - hardware (GPS receiver) and software for navigation. For the first, you can get SD or CF based solutions some of which will have PPC2002 drivers - CF would probably be a better bet in that regard. I can't help you out here, as I'm not terribly familiar with these types of cards.

Alternatively you can get an SD or CF bluetooth module, which would allow you to use any bluetooth GPS receiver on the market. I'd prefer this route, as if/when you upgrade your PDA you won't have to upgrade your GPS hardware as well. As for specific recommendations, anything with a SirfStar III chip would be more than adequate (and affordable).

For navigation software - it really depends on your location (US? Europe? Asia?), as the key thing here is the availability of maps. I think most if not all have voice assisted navigation anyway.

ipaq3850
02-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Nurhisham -- Thank you so much for all the information.

I was not aware that there are Bluetooth-to-SD/CF devices! This is really good news!

My SD slot is memory-only SD, not SDIO. Does that mean I will have to use my expansion pack with the CF in order to use Bluetooth?

Navigation software -- I am located in USA (Southern California).

I rarely travel outside of California, and wouldn't mind having to load maps for when I do travel outside of the state.

What software is recommended? I was told to try out TomTom software, but it costs $199 (half the price of a standalone GPS unit!!) plus I don't think it works with Pocket PC 2002 operating system.

I would like a map software that has 3D views and rotating maps.

Thanks again for the help.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-10-2007, 05:21 PM
My SD slot is memory-only SD, not SDIO. Does that mean I will have to use my expansion pack with the CF in order to use Bluetooth?

You're unfortunately right - CF would have to be used (and thankfully is easier to find).

What software is recommended? I was told to try out TomTom software, but it costs $199 (half the price of a standalone GPS unit!!) plus I don't think it works with Pocket PC 2002 operating system.

I honestly can't help you there, though I've heard that TomTom's customer service is, shall we say, less than satisfactory? You might want to check out GPSPassion (http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/default.asp?_SetCurrentVersion=EN) for more recommendations.

Cybrid
03-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I honestly can't help you there, though I've heard that TomTom's customer service is, shall we say, less than satisfactory? .
I would try www.mapopolis.com They have a free trial available so you can try b4 u buy. :lol: That and a decent CF GPS card will get you running in minutes. $99 for a 1 year download subscription for all North America.
You then download all the maps and burn to CD if you not willing to renew your subscription every year to newer maps.