View Full Version : I need an older model ppc

dbob
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
I have a real good plan with the old ATT/Cingular and want to use a ppc instead of my smt 5600 smart phone (put into use 12/04) with my existing plan. I don't want to switch plans, so if putting a ppc into service means (in 12/2004) that I couldn't use a smartphone minutes plan, then I'm out of luck.

Which ppcs are compatible with the old ATT and in what ranking in terms of ease of use and functionality do you place them?

Also, where would you look for one?

Thanks in advance for 'your' input.

Dbob

Mark Kenepp
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Maybe I am don't understand what you are asking.

The SMT 5600 is a GSM 850/1800/1900 device. Pretty much any GSM Pocket PC Phone (or Smartphone) will function on those frequencies, new or old.

If you are looking to save money by purchasing a second hand unit (I have no experience in that area), then ebay would certainly be one option, the Buy & Sell Forum (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13) here would be another

If you are looking for an older unit because you think that a newer unit will mean a requirement to upgrade your contract then fear not, you should be able to buy any compatible GSM unit, pop the SIM in and away you go. For data connectivity, you will need to enter the appropriate settings but they are easy enough to find (I had to track them down for one of my co-workers who brought back a phone from Hong Kong).

Now, if you purchase your new handset directly from AT&T, they may force you to update your contract.

Not sure what contract you have, but wouldn't prices be cheaper now than they were before?