View Full Version : Which PDA phone?

Typhoon
01-24-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm looking for a PDA phone so I can have a cellphone and so that I can view instructional videos for my college courses. I want to buy one very soon, but I need to find out what's the best phone out there for me. At the same time, I hardly have time to research for a phone because it is hard to manage going to school full-time and working a 12hr/day job. So I am hoping there is someone out there who knows about the current PDA phones to let me know the model I am looking for.

1) Which phone has a VGA screen smaller than 3"?

2) What is probably the cheapest GSM PDA phone out there? Not the square screen ones though, and it has to be brand new.

3) Is there a PDA phone w/a

4) Does anyone know who provides insurance for PDA cellphones that covers accidents?

5) Which model is the thinnest? I just saw the headline about the new ASUS PDA/phone that is 0.6" thin. It is supposed to be the successor to the P525. Does anyone know when this will come out?

6) I remember there was a PDA phone that didn't last too long. I think it was the Motorola MPx. Is there any PDA flip phones out there? I don't want a smartphone.

7) Does anyone know if Dragon Naturally Speaking or other Voice to Text software exists for PDAs that will actually translate voice to text on the PDA? I thought Drag. Nat. Speaking would do this, but from the few lines I have read about it, it doesn't seem like it. I was hoping to take notes faster with software like this.

I'm only looking for a Pocket PC phone, and it could be either WM5 or WM2003SE.

JesterMania
01-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm not really following what you're trying to say...

Is there any PDA flip phones out there? I don't want a smartphone.

You say you don't want a "smartphone" but you're looking at a PPC phone? Also, there are no PPC clamshell-type phones, although the HTC Universal is "flippable" (as in laptop-style). Your point #1 already rules out any existing PPC Phone device because there are none that have a VGA screen < 3". In fact, there are only two VGA phones currently on the market - HTC Universal and Sharp W-ZERO3 (which only works with Japanese carriers) and the upcoming HTC Athena (which is huge - more of a laptop than a phone).

Typhoon
01-25-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not really following what you're trying to say...

Is there any PDA flip phones out there? I don't want a smartphone.

You say you don't want a "smartphone" but you're looking at a PPC phone? Also, there are no PPC clamshell-type phones, although the HTC Universal is "flippable" (as in laptop-style). Your point #1 already rules out any existing PPC Phone device because there are none that have a VGA screen < 3". In fact, there are only two VGA phones currently on the market - HTC Universal and Sharp W-ZERO3 (which only works with Japanese carriers) and the upcoming HTC Athena (which is huge - more of a laptop than a phone).

Oh ok. I meant smartphones as in Windows Mobile Smartphone Edition, and not the cellphone edition. I don't want the cut down version used in less powerful phones, but a PDA/cellphone powered by Windows Mobile. You know, I could of sworn there was a phone announced before that had a VGA screen around 3 inches...but I could be wrong. Definitely, I could rule out a VGA screen phone because of its large size. LOL yea, I don't think I want the HTC Athena...

JesterMania
01-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Hmm...then since you're looking for a cheap GSM phone that's relatively thin (ruling out slide-out keyboards) and that doesn't have a square-screen (ruling out thumb-boards), have you considered either the HTC Prophet (http://www.gsmarena.com/o2_xda_neo-1522.php) or the new HTC Trinity (P3600) (http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_p3600-1694.php)? They're both pretty small and support quad-band GSM. The Trinity will be the more expensive one though.

Menneisyys
01-25-2007, 09:20 PM
The Trinity will be the more expensive one though.

Yup, but it's AKU3 and you can easily enable the built-in GPS in it (see my latest reports on the GPS hack). Taking this into account, it's not that expensive any more.

JesterMania
01-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Yup, but it's AKU3 and you can easily enable the built-in GPS in it (see my latest reports on the GPS hack). Taking this into account, it's not that expensive any more.

Wow AKU3 + 3G + GPS 8O. That's one kick-ass package.

Typhoon
01-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Hmm...then since you're looking for a cheap GSM phone that's relatively thin (ruling out slide-out keyboards) and that doesn't have a square-screen (ruling out thumb-boards), have you considered either the HTC Prophet (http://www.gsmarena.com/o2_xda_neo-1522.php) or the new HTC Trinity (P3600) (http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_p3600-1694.php)? They're both pretty small and support quad-band GSM. The Trinity will be the more expensive one though.

Thanks a lot. I just checked them out and they are pretty nice. I'm actually thinking of spending a bit more for a more quality PDA, but I am still not sure yet. There are so many PDAs/cellphones out there it is hard to make the right pick so quickly....

Typhoon
02-04-2007, 05:13 AM
True, there isn't another PPC phone out yet is flip-phone. I was refering to news mentioned quite awhile ago about a Samsung PPC fliphone and I was wondering if it was out already. Looks like it isn't, but should be out in at least a few months:

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=484

Typhoon
02-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I just bought a SPV M600, which is the HTC Prophet...