View Full Version : Looking for a utility.... Anyone able to help?

lee_alkureishi
01-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a utility that will automatically switch on bluetooth and/or wireless when the axim is in it's cradle (or just on AC power).

The reason I'm asking: I just bought a 2nd cradle, so I can have my dell axim x51v charging at my bedside. I'd like to have bluetooth auto-switch on , so that I can automatically sync over BT while it's charging.

Anyone know of such a utility, or could assist me in creating one? I think it should probably be quite simple, but I have no programming experience whatsoever :P

Thanks,

Leeko

BobbyCannon
04-10-2007, 12:56 AM
If you would like I would love to assist. Give me as much details as possible. I will go ahead and start the application. I will PM you more contact info for me.

Thanks,
Bobby Cannon

lee_alkureishi
04-10-2007, 04:09 AM
Hi Bobby,

thanks so much for the offer of writing the application!

I have an Axim x51v (rom A06). I have a couple of things I would like to happen (these are probably separate issues):

1) I'd like bluetooth and/or wireless to switch on automatically when the axim is on AC power (cradled, but it's not attached to the computer, hence the bluetooth)
2) I'd like bluetooth to auto-detect when it's in range of the desktop computer and initiate activesync connection
3) I'd like the whole thing to re-connect if it loses the connection

If you can help with any of these issues, it would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,

Lee Alkureishi

Cybrid
04-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi Bobby,

I have an Axim x51v (rom A06). I have a couple of things I would like to happen (these are probably separate issues):

1) I'd like bluetooth and/or wireless to switch on automatically when the axim is on AC power (cradled, but it's not attached to the computer, hence the bluetooth)
2) I'd like bluetooth to auto-detect when it's in range of the desktop computer and initiate activesync connection

Thanks in advance,

Lee Alkureishi Wouldn't this be scriptable usin skschema or mortscript? Just a thought.

BobbyCannon
04-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Bobby,

Thanks in advance,

Lee Alkureishi Wouldn't this be scriptable usin skschema or mortscript? Just a thought.

I don't know. I am not familiar with either of these applications. Have you tried it? One advantage over such applications would be ease of use. The applications mentioned above may do it but you would have to have a lot of knowledge to do it. If I write a simple application utility, it will be very user friendly and would require almost no knowledge of Pocket PC and bluetooth.

Thanks,
Bobby Cannon

Cybrid
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
In all honesty, I've used neither.
SKSchema seems to prompt when writing a script. As in turn on>wireless, wait 50 seconds> do ... (basing this on screen shots) Both promise that a successful script once written is a simple click to activate...Once active, the PocketPC's internal notification queue will run the script. If time, I'll download and attempt a script on my X50v WM5. If it works. it may save time.

lee_alkureishi
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks again for your help :)

I should mention that I'm using the widcomm stack, with the widcomm bluetooth manager.

My current procedure is as follows:

tap on the bluetooth today icon (lower right)
tap "turn bluetooth on"
tap on the bluetooth today icon again
tap "bluetooth manager"
in bluetooth manager, tap and hold on "activesync connection" shortcut
tap connect
minimise bluetooth manager
-----------------------------------

The bluetooth can also be switched on by clicking twice on the upper side button of the x51 (wireless button)

If the activesync connection is lost, I can reconnect by going through the same procedure, but not having to turn on bluetooth again.

I'm not sure, but I think bluetooth may also turn on whenever I go into the manager, WITHOUT having to switch it on manually first. This may simplify the procedure a bit :)

Thanks,

Lee

BobbyCannon
04-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Current Status as of April 10 @ 11:23 pm EST...

I can get the status of...
* The AC power line
* The Bluetooth Radio

I can change the status of...
* The Bluetooth Radio

My next step is to learn how to start an already setup Bluetooth connection. I think this is going to be the hard part. It may have to notify you and let you click yes... We shall see.

Anyway time for bed...

Thanks,
Bobby Cannon

BobbyCannon
04-13-2007, 03:25 AM
The more I research, the more I feel like this maybe impossible.

lee_alkureishi
04-13-2007, 03:41 AM
doh!

I appreciate all your help, but if it cant be done, so be it...

Thanks again,

Lee

BobbyCannon
04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
I am still trying... Start thinking of other utilities you would like to have. I would like to build them for you. I want to test my skills against other needs and wants.

lee_alkureishi
04-13-2007, 07:22 PM
:)

I wish there was some way I could help...

Would you like a cup of tea while you work?

Lee

Cybrid
04-13-2007, 08:28 PM
If this is possible then it should be scriptable (www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,54536) . If I had the programming understanding I'd take a run at it but maybe you could translate or adapt the code.

Make ActiveSync connection via Bluetooth.
"Bluetooth" it is connection name - you can have different name on your device.
#r(#BTOn)
#r(#rgset) #p(HKCU;ControlPanel\Comm;Cnct;SZ;`Bluetooth) #sleep(1000)
#r(\windows\repllog.exe) #sleep(1000)

Cybrid
04-13-2007, 10:22 PM

On my X50v WM5, just

Turn Activesync on
tap and hold on menu
connect using BT,
If the PC is in range...it would connect automatically. If not, it comes up with a dialog..."PC not found...setup another connection? yes/no.."
You'd need to modify the above script to "no " on the dialog then retry.
If no again to cancel
if succesful, wait x seconds
then turn off.

BobbyCannon
04-14-2007, 12:43 AM
If this is possible then it should be scriptable (www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,54536) . If I had the programming understanding I'd take a run at it but maybe you could translate or adapt the code.

Make ActiveSync connection via Bluetooth.
"Bluetooth" it is connection name - you can have different name on your device.
#r(#BTOn)
#r(#rgset) #p(HKCU;ControlPanel\Comm;Cnct;SZ;`Bluetooth) #sleep(1000)
#r(\windows\repllog.exe) #sleep(1000)

This may work on some models but not all. I am trying to develop a solution to work on all Pocket PCs.

BobbyCannon
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Glad I didn't spend too much time on this.

http://www.sbsh.net/products/phoneweaver/

Looks like someone already has the solution.