View Full Version : IPAQ rs1950 Activation Problem

bobdup
01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi ... I'm running MSN Mobile 5.0 on my IPAQ (purchased for my wife) that I bought to download ebooks for her. For some reason I cannot get the system to activate the IPAQ, the desktop works fine. I downloaded a Mobile 5.0 OS update from HP that I thought would update the system, but... Any thoughts would be welcome. bobd

Nurhisham Hussein
01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi bobdup, welcome to PPCT!

Are you refering to Windows Mobile? or Pocket MSN? Neither have anything to do with ebooks. Or are you referring to Microsoft Reader? You can get that direct from Microsoft, it's not a part of the Windows Mobile OS. Just Google for 'Microsoft Reader' and download and install the Windows Mobile version. You can only activate once you have the software installed and the device is synced.

bobdup
01-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Sorry ... pocket pc running mobile 5.0. I've downloaded the MS reader from the website and have tried to activate it from the same site but it will not activate the reader. Shows it downloading, but it doesn't activate.

applejosh
01-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Which iPAQ (I don't see an rs1950 on their site)? There was some mention of MS Reader activation fixes for some of the iPAQs (for example, the rx1950/1955) on HP's support site.

rx1950:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=1132544&prodNameId=1132545&swEnvOID=2067&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I23526-108664

bobdup
01-18-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm really sorry that I seem to be giving the information in small pieces.
I have the IPAQ rx1955 pocket pc. I have downloaded the fix from the HP site. Still won't activate.

Not sure if it is a problem, but I created a different account for my wife on my computer (made her an administrator to load software) so she could have her own private area. Loaded the software that came with the rx1955 which of course reflects it in the C drive.

The reader shows up on her account and I can open it. I'll try downloading the ebooks to My Library (where I store them) and try to see if they will open on my desktop.

bobdup
01-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I can now read the ebook on my desktop.

I reloaded the ebook reader onto my IPAQ rx1955 and then ran activation. It said it was loaded successfully.

I then pulled a copy of the ebook (per instructions) from my library on my desktop and deposited it to Explore on the Sync.

Opened reader on IPAQ. Ebook was there. Clicked ebook and go a message back (this one was a new message) saying the "MS Reader is no longer able to access the book".

bobd

Nurhisham Hussein
01-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks bobdup for the additional info.

I don't believe what you're trying to achieve is possible. From what I understand, you're trying to open DRM protected ebooks from two different passport accounts on one PDA - have I got that right? That won't work. There are two ways I can think of around this, neither of which is strictly legal, so I can't discuss it here.

One other legitimate way of course is to make all your ebook purchases under one passport account, and use that account for activation on all your devices and computers (you're allowed up to six devices under one account). That doesn't solve the problem of books bought previously though.

bobdup
01-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Thank you. I think you hit the nail on the head.

Appreciate the info. bobd