View Full Version : Help! Old PPC

sjhughes
01-11-2007, 10:15 PM
I have an old PPC that spends most of the time in a drawer. It is a version 3 purchased in 2002. It was purchased in 2002. My question is are OS upgradeable? Most things I"ve seen require ver 4. Is this too old or is there still somewhere to buy the software?
Thanks for any replys

applejosh
01-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Without knowing what device you have specifically, we can't say if a device is upgradeable or not. Upgrades are device specific and were made available at the discretion of the manufacturers. But most likely, support for the device has been dropped, and it might be difficult (if not impossible) to obtain an upgrade if one was actually available for the device at one time. (And most likely not upgradeable to the more modern OS's (eg. WM2003se or WM5).)

vinsect
01-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I have an old Journada 547. I'd been amazed at how much I could still do with it over the years. I haven't really touched it since getting my Cingular 8125 last year though.
I wonder if there are any Linux OS distributions that would run on those older devices.

kjliew
01-19-2007, 08:40 PM
It really depends what you are expecting out of the old PPC. If it's ARM-based, there are still some software hanging around to make it useful. I have a Audiovox Maestro PPC2002, and it's still being used, although I have had myself a WM5 PDA phone. While being able to upgrade the OS is great, but sometimes you may not require an OS upgrade to make an old device become useful again. You just need to find 3rd party replacement software to do the jobs. And, all replacement software that use are free. I list a few here:
Web browser - Opera Mini
Emails - QMAIL/nPOP
Softphone(VoIP) - SJPhone
Mapping - Mobile Google Maps.
Media player - TCPMP

Menneisyys
01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I have an old Journada 547. I'd been amazed at how much I could still do with it over the years. I haven't really touched it since getting my Cingular 8125 last year though.
I wonder if there are any Linux OS distributions that would run on those older devices.

Unfortunately, the SH3 HP Jornadas all have ROM's insted of Flash ROM. That is, it's impossible to *flash* anything into them.

Menneisyys
01-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I have an old PPC that spends most of the time in a drawer. It is a version 3 purchased in 2002. It was purchased in 2002. My question is are OS upgradeable? Most things I"ve seen require ver 4. Is this too old or is there still somewhere to buy the software?
Thanks for any replys

1, welcome to PPCT :)

2, the model? Very few PPC2k2 devices can be upgraded to WM2003 (Dell Axim x5, iPQ 38xx, 39xx, 54xx and some other, lesser-known models).