View Full Version : Anyone using Cingular 8525 on T-Mobile???

bbqpringles
12-27-2006, 02:15 AM
I have been kicking around this idea of buying a Cingular 8525, unlocking it and using it on T-mobile's network (long time T-mobile customer). While I know I would not have the 3G capabilty of the 8525 on T-mobile, I know it will probably come in 2007!

I need to know that I can do this without sacrificing the ability to PUSH email, get internet access, wi-fi (at home/work), and txt/media message. I am kind of a newbie. My Blackberry 7105t is the most technologically advanced phone I have, but I am looking for ppc to utilize Covey's Outlook plugin.

I like the 8525 better than the MDA because the reviews I've read indicate that the 8525 is more "one hand" friendly (track wheel) and I also like the more spiffy camera, bluetooth (stereo!), and faster processor.

compboss17
12-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Switch to Cingular idiot. They're so much better than T-Mobile. I mean seriously...paying for mobile to mobile??? That's so 2004.

bbqpringles
12-27-2006, 08:03 AM
I was not intending for this to become a "who's a better carrier" topic. I have read about many more disgruntled Cingular customers when stacked up against T-Mobile. I have never had a problem with my service, Customer Service/Support, and their prices are much lower when you stack the two against one another.

Also, perhaps you are misinformed about paying M2M minutes. I have never pd for mobile to mobile while with T-Mobile (since 2001)

It just sucks that Cingular has a way better phone than the T-mo MDA! :(

compboss17
12-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Maybe you don't pay for it but it's definitely only an OPTION on individual plans (M2M). And no 3g. No rollover. ****ty coverage (compared to Cingular). Far fewer phones that are GENERALLY not as good. You get what you pay for, if 10 bucks a month less is really worth arguing about. Verizon would be the best if they used GSM and didn't lock their phones down like it's alcatraz.

ADBrown
12-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Switch to Cingular idiot. They're so much better than T-Mobile. I mean seriously...paying for mobile to mobile??? That's so 2004.

Since I expect that you're going to be banned from this board very shortly for being a moron and an asshat, I'll only stop long enough to point out that all but the most basic T-Mobile plans include free mobile-to-mobile calls as standard. Clearly, the only idiot in this conversation is the person who claims to know what they're talking about when they don't.

bbqpringles, you aren't ever going to get 3G using the 8525 on T-Mobile. They're going to be deploying 3G in the 1700/2100 band, not the 1900 band as used by Cingular. You'd need a completely new device.

bbqpringles
12-27-2006, 07:28 PM
ADbrown, thanks for that info. I had not even considered the 3G formats! I guess I can't see the forest for the trees here.

Is there a phone out there that you would suggest going after that rivals the 8525 and will be compliant with T-Mobile's upcoming 3G network?

Once I unlock a phone, do I have all my connectivty by simply plugging in my sim? Or do I need to go through manual adjustments to get email, txt, and internet going?

ADBrown
12-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Is there a phone out there that you would suggest going after that rivals the 8525 and will be compliant with T-Mobile's upcoming 3G network?

Unfortunately, there are as yet no devices of any stripe that will work on T-Mobile's planned 3G network. I don't know exactly when they plan to launch 3G, except that it's some time next year, but I would expect devices to go along with the network sometime before they go live.

Once I unlock a phone, do I have all my connectivty by simply plugging in my sim? Or do I need to go through manual adjustments to get email, txt, and internet going?

You'll almost certainly need to adjust a few settings for internet access. Mostly it's the access point name. It's not too hard as long as you know the right settings for your carrier.

bbqpringles
12-27-2006, 10:18 PM
AD,

I did find that the HTC TyTN (Cingular 8525) version that is being sold in Europe runs on 2100 (the upcoming T-Mobile 3G format). I am assuming that this could be any of the versions being sold in GB or Germany. I found a guy on EBAY that says he has customers that are using this phone stateside. What's your take on that info?

Do you think that I could have my cake and eat it too (at least by the time T-Mobile gets their UTMS up) if I got my hands on that phone?

Thanks again for your input!

rpodos
12-27-2006, 11:32 PM
I switched from an MDA to a TyTN just fine on T-mobile. No problem setting it up.

That said, I've actually switched back to my MDA. I dramatically prefer it: form factor, RL functionality (ie, A2DP, MPEG, ActiveSync), stability, etc. With the latest custom ROMs, the MDA matches or beats Hermes performance. I've posted about this a fair bit on HoFo and XDA.

That's not including 3G, of course, which I didn't have... but neither would you!

(ps: Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the next generation... but I think the MDA is the best such device currently available)

inteller
12-28-2006, 03:01 PM
good grief, using an 8525 on T-mobile is like trying to drive a Ferrari down a gravel road.

Why didn't you save some money and get an 8125?... at least you wouldn't be buying features you cant use.

bbqpringles
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
The last two posts really helped. I think I will go after the MDA for now. By the time T-Mo gets 3G going in my area there will probably be a phone that blows the 8525 away.

I would only drive a Ferarri on the Autobahn, baby!

ADBrown
12-28-2006, 06:37 PM
AD,

I did find that the HTC TyTN (Cingular 8525) version that is being sold in Europe runs on 2100 (the upcoming T-Mobile 3G format). I am assuming that this could be any of the versions being sold in GB or Germany. I found a guy on EBAY that says he has customers that are using this phone stateside. What's your take on that info?

From everything I've ever heard, the 2100 MHz 3G in Europe is not the same as the 2100 that's going to be used over here, meaning that existing 3G phones won't work.

The last two posts really helped. I think I will go after the MDA for now. By the time T-Mo gets 3G going in my area there will probably be a phone that blows the 8525 away.

That sounds like a wise decision.