View Full Version : Poor cingular reception with IMate JasJar in Texas,USA

idratherbhuntin
12-21-2006, 04:10 AM
I got my new jasjar and of course have never met another person that owns one so nobody can help me out. When I call cingular they will not offer any support because it is not one of their phones. I finaly searched enough forums to get the internet connection working via gprs but I have very poor reception. I have had this phone for about three days and the best I hve gotten is about 2 bars. It spends most of the day searching for a network. Do I have somthing set wrong on the phone? Can i buy a booster for it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JesterMania
01-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Did you make sure the SIM card is tightly fit into the slot? I've heard of cases of a loose SIM card adversely affecting reception. Otherwise, it's probably due to your JasJar being tri-band only. In North America, GSM networks use the 850MHz and 1900MHz bands. Tri-band phones are missing the 850MHz band and you're probably in an area where 1900MHz bands can't reach you well.

Sven Johannsen
01-06-2007, 03:30 AM
And if you hadn't looked at the brochure the JasJar works at 900, 1800, 1900 & WCDMA 2100. You might check with Cingular in your area to see what their coverage is...mostly the 1900MHz band will be what you are concerned with.

Another tip is to register at www.imate.com. One thing the provide is cab files that can be run to set your i-Mate phone up for a great number of carriers. Cingular is one. You download the file, copy it to the device, and run it. It sets up all the paramaters for your carrier. Since i have both Cingular and T-Mobile SIMs and switch them around, i keep both cabs on my SD card and just run the appropriate one when I swap SIMS.