View Full Version : Samsung i730 Windows 5.0 upgrade slow down

redman0
12-18-2006, 10:24 PM
I have been using my i730 since 8-05 and really like it. I was hoping to take advantage of the Windows 5.0 upgrade, but after I did the upgrade and loaded all my data, there was a HUGE slow down when I search for contacts, like it would take from 10-30 seconds to try to find a name when typing in the letters in the Contacts application (I have about 4000 contacts, which searched in under 1 second using Windows 2003). Verizon is my carrier and usually pretty good, but the tech people said they never saw a slowdown after the upgrade to Win 5.0 with anyone else.

Verizon sent me a replacement i730, but it still had 2003 on it, which I upgraded and it still had the same problem. Finally a Verizon tech got a Samsung tech on the phone and the Samsung tech admitted that one of features of Win 5.0 (the persistent memory, so if your battery dies you do NOT need to reload everything) causes a minor slowdown, which for anyone with not as many contacts would prbably never see. So I am left using Windows 2003 because I would rather have a quick search of contacts than the new features of 5.0, but I would like to NOT have to compromise either.

If anyone has any other experience or suggestions that might help I would love to hear them.

Thanks for any help!

Steve

Darius Wey
12-19-2006, 04:45 AM
Finally a Verizon tech got a Samsung tech on the phone and the Samsung tech admitted that one of features of Win 5.0 (the persistent memory, so if your battery dies you do NOT need to reload everything) causes a minor slowdown, which for anyone with not as many contacts would prbably never see. So I am left using Windows 2003 because I would rather have a quick search of contacts than the new features of 5.0, but I would like to NOT have to compromise either.

Due to the architectural differences of RAM and ROM, Windows Mobile 5.0 may feel slightly slower as a result of longer access times. It's a small price to pay, but one I feel is well worth it for all of Windows Mobile 5.0's added benefits.

I should mention that the slowdowns you are experiencing are common with upgraded devices. New devices that ship with Windows Mobile 5.0 today feel much faster.

redman0
12-19-2006, 09:21 AM
First, thanks for the reply so far!

I would like the added features of Mobile 5.0; however, the slowdown is quite severe for me, I will elaborate just in case others who are looking to upgrade need a little more evidence for risk assesment. Again, I do have 4000 contact records and Win 2003 had ZERO issues doing what I wanted with NO delay.

When I go into contacts and try to type in letters so the list starts sorting for any matches, with Mobile 5.0, I can only type one, maybe two letters before the thing freezes and does nothing for a period of time (usually at least 10 seconds), and then if I hit a third letter before I wait for the display to start to show some results, the third letter will some how repeat and give me a wrong result after waiting for another 10-30 seonds. Then when I try to hit the backspace key to delete the duplicated letter it takes another 10-30 seconds to resort the list again. Which by now that the list of sort results is shorted, when I type letters after the first three, it seems to react a little quicker. So I am sometimes waiting for 30-90 seconds to look up one name, this is not an option while I am driving, or on a conference call and need to look up another persons number...

Also, my calendar was a bit slow, but not as severe as the contact searching.

Aside from that, my other software (List Pro, eWallet, excel) worked fairly real time.

Hope this helps and good upgrading...!

Steve

maxnix
06-30-2007, 10:34 AM
You need to obtain and install the free Auto step program avaialble in the SCH-i730 forum at www.pdaphonehome.com forum or obtain a commercial version.

Read all the stickies at the above site first!