View Full Version : remove preinstalled programs

Ecologist
12-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Hello All
I have had a HP 4700 for the past 18 months and find it great. I'm finding that I'm running out of memory in the main memory section (I don't really understand the memory stuff, I have 62Mb used in the main memory but have used only 3.6Mb of 54 Mb in the ipaq file store- what do you use that for??). I was trying to delete programs that came preloaded on my machine that I don't use, for example Clearview pdf reader ect, but can't find them when I look for them in the remove program section. I also cant find them in the file explorer either? I'm happy to admit to being a goose but it's now annoying and I'm running out of space (I use a SD card for most of my other stuff).
Can anyone help?

Cheers...P.S have a good Xmas

Nurhisham Hussein
12-12-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm assuming here that you haven't updated to WM5? Main memory consists of RAM, and is used for two purposes in WM2003SE (which is the OS on your device). The first is analogous to RAM on your PC - it's where programs are loaded when you run them. It's also used as a storage area, much like a RAMdisk on a PC (if you're old enough to remember that far ;)). The iPaq File Store is quite different, and is made up of flash ROM - think of it as your PDA's hard drive.

So since you've only have 64MB RAM, and you've used up 62MB, that means you have about 2MB to run programs - the minimum you should have is 10MB. Deleting the preinstalled programs will not help, even if it were possible, as they are stored in the non-user accessible section of the ROM. A few things you can do:

1. Move as many of your files from My Documents to your SD card. You might also want to use a CF card for the same purpose (cheaper than SD and in bigger sizes).

2. Clear your internet cache (launch Pocket IE, go to tools->options->memory tab->delete files).

3. Soft reset once in a while.

4. Shift your less used apps from main memory to your SD card (you'll have to uninstall and reinstall).

HTH

Ecologist
12-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks Nurhisham
Yes I haven't upgrade to WM5,(i'm still considering the pros & cons). I dont use IE on my PC and keep my documents on my SD card, so most of the memory that is being used is programs I have loaded. From what you say, I think I should reload my main programs (Field based GIS and GPS mapping software) into the iPaq store area (using the hard drive analogy). I currently have them loaded in the RAM area (and unfortunaltey I am old enough th remember RAM disk , I can still remember using DOS to boot up my first pc and though 5Mb hardrive would be enough to last me forever).
I think that would clear up a significant anoung of space and allow me to do a hard reset to clear out some crap that I can't get rid of (deleted programs that don't want to fully delete).
Hopefully I'm on the right track.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers
Gary

Nurhisham Hussein
12-13-2006, 03:30 AM
Hopefully I'm on the right track.
Thanks a lot for your help.

You're welcome! Feel free to post any more questions that you might have, and I hope your plan works out.