View Full Version : How can I play .wma or .swa sound files on the PPC?

rocky_raher
12-12-2006, 05:53 AM
I am trying to write a program for the PPC which will select and play .wma files. I am using Visual Studio 2005. Although I prefer C#, I am familiar with the other languages available.

My last thread asked about how to use the SoundPlayer class in the System.Media namespace to play sound files. I found that this option is (as far as I can tell) unavailable for SmartDevice projects.

I looked in the VS Help again, and filtered the index by "Smart Device Development." The only thing I found which looked relevant is "sound [.NET Compact Framework]." This was quite useful, in that it included source code for the Sound class. I can create a Sound object with the path to a .wav file, and call the Play() method.

This is good, except that all of the sound files I want to play are in Shockwave audio (.swa) format. I used Windows Media Encoder to convert a few to .wma format. It appears that the Sound class will only play .wav files, not .wma.

Is there a plugin, or some other approach, which will allow me to play .wma or .swa sound files on the PPC?

[p.s. It just occurred to me that a utility to convert a lot of .swa (or .wma) files to .wav format would also be useful, but I'd like to learn how to play .wma format files.]

MBro
12-24-2006, 01:23 AM
I've been trying to play WMA on the PPC for almost 5 years now (I wrote TodayPlayer), and haven't found an elegant solution. The closest was to use a browser object with the WMP on it, but it was somewhat flakey.

---Mike