View Full Version : Help with removing programs

bigeagle
12-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Since purchasing my phone (Sprint 6700) I've added several programs to try. I run into trouble successfully removing them. Most recently, for example, AgendaFusion. I used the "Add/Remove" but was told AgendaFusion could not be removed completely.

I used file explorer to remove anything related to the program. It still shows up as an icon in my Programs display. This is the case with Opera as well.

Is there a better way to completely remove programs?

isajoo
12-11-2006, 07:09 AM
although it may be the same thing as add/remove programs on ppc, u could try add/remove on activesync. not sure whats causing it to not uninstall, but if u want, you could try out a safe mode app. search on google for them, some are freeware. that way, no third party apps load up after a soft reset and u can uninstall your apps more easily.

applejosh
12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
The only free safe mode product I've seen is not for WM5 devices (which if memory serves me right, the 6700 is one). Normally, I try doing a soft reset before attempting to uninstall any program. (I think the reset button is on the bottom of the 6700.) If you have already manually deleted files, then you might want to try installing them again, and then uninstall them without running them first.

Short of that, the icons in your "programs" screen are shortcuts in the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.

(But manually uninstalling programs in this general manner (manually deleting all files, etc.) will still probably result in registry entries not being cleaned out, the items still listed in the Remove Programs list, and possibly system references to dll's that no longer exist.)

Edit: Also, you may want to look at some sort of "task manager" like Magic Button, Wisbar Advance 2, Pocket Plus, or iLauncher to really close apps. It could be that the uninstall can't go through because the apps are still running in the bacjground (normal behavior on a PocketPC device). A soft reset prior to uninstalling should clear these out should you not want to invest/try one of the task manager programs.

isajoo
12-12-2006, 09:24 AM
ohhh, if u are removing more than 1 app, make sure to reset after uninstalling each app, many apps need to be reset to finish the uninstall especially today apps.