View Full Version : iPaQ users, please help!!

anthony03
12-04-2006, 10:18 AM
I have been considering the iPaQ hw6945 (unlocked) versus the non-phone version because the phone version has GPS, a camera, and QWERTY keyboard.

My problem is that I am not planning on using it as a phone whatsoever, so won't be purchasing phone service. Does anyone know if the wireless internet and gps will work regardless of if I have it connected to a phone service provider?? I would really appreciate someone's help. Calling these companies and not getting straight answers!!

rlaustin
12-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know if the wireless internet and gps will work regardless of if I have it connected to a phone service provider??

I thought all the HW6900 series have phone built in. You should confirm with the store. Anyway, other than using a Phone Provider, you can connect to the Internet via WiFi using a wireless router or Bluetooth using a Bluetooth phone. The GPS uses satellite and does not depend on Internet connection. However, I believe the HW6945 comes with a GPS fast connection utility (which must be updated frequently via the Internet).

Darius Wey
12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Correct, all hw6900 series devices are phone-enabled. anthony03, where did you hear otherwise?

You can still use the device without a SIM card inserted, though it's worth pointing out that your wireless connectivity will be limited (i.e., no GPRS/EDGE access).

anthony03
12-04-2006, 10:10 PM
The unlocked version does not come with a phone service installed.

http://www.epinions.com/Hewlett_Packard_HP_iPAQ_hw6945_Mobile_Messenger/display_~reviews

So I will be able to use the wireless and GPS, just not the edge network without phone service? Is the OS on this phone any better or worse than the one on the regular PDA version of this iPaQ??

Nurhisham Hussein
12-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Is the OS on this phone any better or worse than the one on the regular PDA version of this iPaQ??

There is no 'regular' PDA version of this iPaq. If you are referring to other non-phone models in the iPaq line, the OS used is the same.

Darius Wey
12-05-2006, 02:11 AM
The unlocked version does not come with a phone service installed.

http://www.epinions.com/Hewlett_Packard_HP_iPAQ_hw6945_Mobile_Messenger/display_~reviews

Right, it doesn't come with a service, but it is still a phone-enabled device, so if you ever wish to stick a personal SIM card into the device, you can.

So I will be able to use the wireless and GPS, just not the edge network without phone service? Is the OS on this phone any better or worse than the one on the regular PDA version of this iPaQ??

Yes, you will be able to use the Wi-Fi and GPS fine. Access to GPRS/EDGE will be non-existent without a SIM. As for your next query, Nurhisham has it right.

anthony03
12-06-2006, 12:30 AM
As for your next query, Nurhisham has it right.

Thanks for your response Darius. But, I was told that the hardware inside of the phone version and the non-phone iPaQ's were the same, and that is why I asked if the OS is any different for the phone version. I just wanted to make sure that I don't have any software limitations with the phone version. Thanks again everyone!

Nurhisham Hussein
12-06-2006, 01:33 AM
But, I was told that the hardware inside of the phone version and the non-phone iPaQ's were the same, and that is why I asked if the OS is any different for the phone version.

You're misinformed - the hardware between devices (even within the iPaq range) can be and usually is substantially different, but the OS is not. As an analogy, think of the many different brands of PCs with varying motherboards and graphics cards but which all use the same WinXP OS.