View Full Version : Default System Font Size?

JMac
12-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Not having much luck determining how to change my default font size for notes, so I thought I would ask here.

When creating a note, usually within a task or appointment using Pocket Informant, the font is just a bit too small for these old eyes. My system font is Tahoma and all the notes within Pocket Informant are set by default to 8 pts. 10 pts. would be ideal, but then there is not that much text on the screen. So 9 pts. is about the perfect compromise.

But I have to manually change the font size every time. I posted this a while back in the WebIS forum and Alex said that the font used for notes is from the OS and that PI has nothing to do with the font size.

I have SK-Tools and there is a "system font size setting" in the customization area, and I changed that from 800 to 900 (not sure what the units are there), but the notes stay at 8 pts. I wrote to them to ask if the notes font size can be changed with SK-Tools, but CharlyV is not answering messages as often as he used to.

I use PhatNotes and I have that set to 9 pts. and love it. But the Task and Appointment notes within PI cannot use PhatNotes, like their Alarm Notes can.

I can change the font style, and just about any other font attribute on my device, but these notes stay at 8 pts and I have run out of places to look for where to change it.

I am using a Cingular 8125 running WM5. Amy ideas?

Thanks!

Nurhisham Hussein
12-04-2006, 03:00 AM
JMac, have you tried looking directly at the registry for this, just to make sure SKTools changed the setting correctly? I'm not sure where the system font settings is exactly in WM5 but in WM2003SE, it's under \HKLM\System\GDI\SYSFNT.

JMac
12-05-2006, 08:55 PM
JMac, have you tried looking directly at the registry for this, just to make sure SKTools changed the setting correctly? I'm not sure where the system font settings is exactly in WM5 but in WM2003SE, it's under \HKLM\System\GDI\SYSFNT.
I can find where the font is defined in the registry, but not the size. In Settings>Screen I can change the font size using the "Smal-->Large-->Largest" slider, but that only affects the Today Screen.

I cannot find anything that shows default font sizes for various views, such as Notes. I can change it each time from the font setting withing the note, but then I have to "select all" and go into Font Settings every time I create a note, which is pretty tedious, not to mention I sometimes forget to do that.

I would think that any PIM replacement software, such as PI, should be able to do this, but Alex says no.

I'm not certain wha font size SK-Tools is claiming to be able to change - it shows one setting for the Taskbar, one for pop-up bubbles, one for menu items. But it doesn't elaborate. Plus, those setting are large numbers, like 800, 900, etc. I'm not sure what that corresponds to. Does 800 = 8 point? Anyway, a lot of the settings in the latest version of SK-Tools are now obsolete since the last batch of ROM flashes that Microsoft offered to manufacturers. I can imagine it is hard to keep up with that.

It's beginning to look like there is no way to change default font sizes. I've read all through the MSDN Windows Mobile site, thexda-developer site, and several forums like this one. No joy at all. :cry:

Nurhisham Hussein
12-06-2006, 01:48 AM
It's beginning to look like there is no way to change default font sizes. I've read all through the MSDN Windows Mobile site, thexda-developer site, and several forums like this one. No joy at all. :cry:

That is odd, because I've always used a custom system font and font size (Lydian 10pt), and it does appear to work in Notes and Pocket Word - the problem is that I'm still using WM2003SE, which may make a difference. You're probably correct in that 800=8pt (the ht value in the registry).