View Full Version : Stream video from pc to pocket pc over internet

compboss17
11-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Okay basically I'm trying to do exactly what the subject says. I've got a bunch of recorded tv that has been reconverted to mpeg 4 format (I have tcpmp with the aac plugin) and I'm trying to stream it from my computer at home to my pocket pc over the internet. Kinda like slingbox, but for my computer. And FTP won't work I've already tried. You can't stream with FTP only download. The only thing I can think of is VPN. Oh and btw, just so everyone knows the shows are stored on a Dlink network server.

Also, does anyone know of any good, free pop clients and that support HTML?

Phone: Cingular 8525

Cybrid
11-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Okay basically I'm trying to do exactly what the subject says. I've got a bunch of recorded tv that has been reconverted to mpeg 4 format (I have tcpmp with the aac plugin) and I'm trying to stream it from my computer at home to my pocket pc over the internet. Kinda like slingbox, but for my computer. And FTP won't work I've already tried. You can't stream with FTP only download. The only thing I can think of is VPN. Oh and btw, just so everyone knows the shows are stored on a Dlink network server.

Also, does anyone know of any good, free pop clients and that support HTML?

Phone: Cingular 8525www.orb.com

NPOP does POP. You could save the html as a file then play it through PIE.

Spudley112
11-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I have been using orb and I love it. It not only streams video, but gives you access to other goodies like your entire picture collection on your home PC. It can stream TV, audio and has add-ons that you can set up to access other files. It's good stuff.

GSmith
11-30-2006, 07:05 PM
And FTP won't work I've already tried. You can't stream with FTP only download. The only thing I can think of is VPN.
VPN is not really a streaming technology, it is a tunnelling technology through which a streaming protocol might stream.

FTP does send the file from the server to the client in a bitstream. It's possible a media player that is capable of playing an HTTP media stream is also capable of streaming over FTP. Did you try entering the url in TCPMP as "ftp://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/folder/subfolder/file.mp4" where "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd" is the externally-accessible IP address? There are multiple issues with doing this from a home server. Have you solved all of them? And are you sure it's the media player that is the problem?

Cannot see IP or Host from the outside Use Static IP Address or Dynamic DNS.
Cannot get through to Host. Create a hole in firewall. Make sure ISP is not blocking ports.
Router not routing to Host. NAT and/or firewall and/or router may be co-conspirators here.

Your best bet is to make sure you can stream from within your home first without going through "the internet" at all.

What exactly did you try when you attempted streaming media over FTP?

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone or Pocket PC
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

JIMNOLAND
12-04-2006, 07:32 AM
I use orb also but I like avvenu better http://www.avvenu.com/