View Full Version : Hp 1950 WM 5 Memory how to adjust

togusa00
11-29-2006, 06:44 AM
I've got a new ipaq with windows mobile 5 is there a way to adjust the memory like wm 2003se with the bar. It seems to be a constant issue with me of running out of memory I use a talking dictionary that is a memory hog. Any help with memory issues for windows mobile 5 with be appreicated.
Thanks....

Nurhisham Hussein
11-29-2006, 07:43 AM
I've got a new ipaq with windows mobile 5 is there a way to adjust the memory like wm 2003se with the bar.

Doesn't work that way in WM5, and there's no need for it either. Unlike WM2003SE, where memory is divided between a program execution area and storage, in WM5 all the memory is devoted to program execution. You might want to check on what's running in the background, or do a soft reset before using that dictionary.

Darius Wey
11-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately, the rx1950 is known for suffering from memory issues. Its 32MB of RAM doesn't leave much breathing room, so you'll have to watch what you run and how much you run in the background.

Brad Adrian
11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
For making the most of a device with limited memory, a few other sugggestions:

• Get yourself a utility that converts the "X" to provide true Program Close functionallity.
• Don't be afraid to perform a soft reset once a day or more often. Some applications that are multimedia-intensive don't always release all the memory they use, even if they are truly closed.
• Make sure that you don't have any Today screen plug-ins installed that you don't actually use. Some can continue to operate even if they're de-selected from the Today setup panel.
• Consider getting a memory management tool like MemMaid to help with things like clearing PIE caches and identifying memory-hogging inefficiencies.

Paul Martin
11-29-2006, 10:43 PM
I've got a Dell X51v, theoretically with lots of RAM. I want more!! :D I guess I just run too many memory-intensive items concurrently. Wish PocketPCTechs could do that kind of upgrade. Of course, it would probably cost $6-800 bucks. 8O I guess Magic Button is a little cheaper.

togusa00
11-30-2006, 05:59 AM
actually it's my friends pda. I've tried everything you guys mentioned (all great advice thanks!) still seems to slow down a bit. On my pda hp hx2450 wm 2003se no problem though I do have 64 megs of ram. I'm thinking now it's just an issue with the OS it's self. I basically cloned my pda's software on to his (don't fret he paid for the downloads) and I found that about a third either would not install on wm 2005 or had problems starting properly. I'm thinking now I will never upgrade my device seeing that I've read Microsoft has plans to release a mobile version 2007 and 2009 which I'm guess will be fundamentally as different each time as 5 is different from 2003. I use a lot of Chinese software and most company's do not seem to see the reason to upgrade their software with the current OS.
Thanks again for the advice makes this forum sfel so eliable to be able to check so quickly.

Menneisyys
11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Also make sure you use the forum search engine - there have been several related threads. For example, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44626 . I've also posted some additional thoughts and links to my 1950-related articles; see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?cat=151

Darius Wey
11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
actually it's my friends pda. I've tried everything you guys mentioned (all great advice thanks!) still seems to slow down a bit. On my pda hp hx2450 wm 2003se no problem though I do have 64 megs of ram.

WM2003SE and WM5 utilize different memory structures. WM2003SE's volatile memory (RAM) is split in two - one part for storage, one part for program memory. In WM5, volatile memory (RAM) is used for program memory, and non-volatile memory (ROM; which is slower) is used for storage. So, yes, it's slower, but the upside is you don't lose any of your data when your battery goes flat.

I'm thinking now it's just an issue with the OS it's self.

I think "issue" is the wrong word. It's more of a compromise.

I basically cloned my pda's software on to his (don't fret he paid for the downloads) and I found that about a third either would not install on wm 2005 or had problems starting properly.

Did you check to see there were WM5-compatible versions of said applications?