View Full Version : Don't want to sync with Exchange Server

ricBRZ
11-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Please, how can I avoid my PocketPC synchronize Calendar, Task, Contacts, Notes with Exchange Server? I have already unchecked the option "Enable synchronization with a server" in ActiveSync, but it still sync with Exchange.
I want to sync this items with my .PST file.

Brad Adrian
11-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Are you using a wireless device that is inadvertantly synching with a mobile Exchange server? A non-phone Pocket PC actually synchs with your desktop Outlook, which in turn is what synchs with Exchange, so if you have any more details it would help.

ricBRZ
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
My environment is very simple: iPaq HP 1940 connected through USB cable. I usually synchronize successfully with local .PST file, but after support staff configured an email account in Exchange server, everything is syncronizing with it. I already tried reinstall ActiveSync and I also tried other versions of it, but the results are the same. Tks!

Brad Adrian
11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Well, every time you connect your device to your PC, Activesync takes a look at your Outlook file and does the update. It sounds like Outlook was configured to synchronize with Exchange. So, with your Pocket PC synching with Outlook and Outlook synching with Exchange, your Pocket PC is going to always be in synch with Exchange under the current setup.

What exactly is it that is in your Outlook file that you do not want transferred to your device? Or, are you using multiple profiles in Outlook, and THAT'S what you want to keep separate? If so, it's going to be a little tough to do.

Sorry to be drawing this out; I'm just trying to understand your situation.

Mark Kenepp
11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Do you still see the information from your PST file in Outlook?

Like Brad said, your issue is that now Outlook is set up to connect to the Exchange Server and is using that as its default data store. Activesync will synchronize the default data store, set up in the default Outlook profile.

You have a few options:

You can change your default data store from your Exchange Server back to your PST file which would mean that all your email will be delivered to your PST file,

or,

You can import the data from your PST file into your new Exchange Mailbox.

Which you do and whether or not you can do either will be up to your IT support staff.

It should be a simple process for them to transfer your data from your Old PST file into your new Exchange Mailbox and if they can't, or if they deleted your old PST file, then they should probably look for a job in another field. :twisted:

ricBRZ
11-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks, very good hints! I would like to have all my PPC data synchronized only with desktop PST file (for confidenciality), but my email data must remain in Exchange server (company politics). But based on both comments, I think this scenario is not possible, right?

Mark Kenepp
11-28-2006, 08:36 PM
You could set up your Outlook to download your email to your PST file and leave a copy on the Server.

I would suspect that if your company has a policy about where your email can go, then they may also have a policy about how you can set up your Outlook with regards to the default message store, which would leave you with the initial problem.

Also, any workarounds would require setting up profiles on your computer which would also likely be effected by company policies.

Regarding the confidentiality of using the Exchange Server for your data, the data on the Exchange Server should be as secure, if not more secure than storing it locally in a PST file. Being the guy in the office who sets up the Exchange Server and the security associated with it, my personal opinion on the matter is that if you don't want your data on the server, then you should not sync it with an office computer to begin with.

If you are worried about someone in the office accessing your data on the Exchange Server then if the Exchange Server is set up correctly and permissions are set up where only you can access your mailbox, then if someone knows enough about gaining access to your Exchange Server data they can just as easily get access to the PST file stored locally on your computer.

So, it sounds like you need to decide how important it is for you to keep your data stored locally on your computer and if it is that important to you then you may have to forgo syncing.

ricBRZ
11-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Brad and Mark, thank you very much!

islandsnow
12-05-2006, 05:08 AM
if you want to complete avoid syncing with your exchange server then just delete the connection to the exchange server. go to activesync, click on menu, click on options and highlight exchange server, and click delete. or, you can just uncheck calendar, tasks, contacts, email under the exchange server and it should not sync anything (i think)

ricBRZ
12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I found a way that answered my question: I simply choose to delivery emails in particular folders (sorry, my outlook is portuguese version and I don't know the english name of this parameter). Thanks!