View Full Version : my documents sub folder on storage card

islandsnow
11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
ok, so i made the switch from palm/treo 650 to a ppc hw6945 ipaq.

still trying to figure things out. i created a my documents folder on my storage card. and then i created sub folders under that like word, excel, notes, etc...

how come in most of the apps, i cannot see anything under the my documents root folder when trying to open documents? and then in one of the app, i forget which one, i see two my documents, presumably one is the one on my device and the other on my storage card. very confusing.

is it common practice to save a document in my documents folder, then use the file explorer to move it into a sub folders? sounds crazy to me. why can't you see sub folders under my documents in apps other than the file explorer?

Sven Johannsen
11-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Normal Windows Mobile Application file access only allows one folder deep. On WM5 the root of the storage card is the top and you can create one folder below that for things like Excel to access. Move your folders that are now under My Documents directly under the root of the card and all will be fine. Note you can't have \\Storage Card\Excel\Work\ and \\Storage Card\Excel\Home\ You could do \\Storage Card\Excel-Work\ and \\Storage Card\Excel-Home\

There are programs around that don't adhere to the MS standard, so some things may let you get to deeper sub folders than the standard applications from within the application.

To give a little background on My Documents on the WM front, prior to WM5 it worked a bit differently. You could put a My Documents folder on a Storage Card and the Apps would use that as a top level and go one folder down from there. There was a secret file, ignore_my_docs, that let that happen. If you had it the root was top and if not My Documents was top. In either case, you got one level down from top. At the time, program installations scattered all over the root directory, so having your own files in My Documents releived appearant clutter. Now Progams go into a Programs folder and other things are managed better as well, so the My Documents thing went away. The hidden ignore_my_docs was confusing at best.

islandsnow
11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
thanks very much for the explanation and suggestion. at least now i know and can rearrange my stuff appropriately on my storage card. its messier to have it all in the root, as opposed to under my docuements. but thats just how it has to be...

Normal Windows Mobile Application file access only allows one folder deep. On WM5 the root of the storage card is the top and you can create one folder below that for things like Excel to access. Move your folders that are now under My Documents directly under the root of the card and all will be fine. Note you can't have \\Storage Card\Excel\Work\ and \\Storage Card\Excel\Home\ You could do \\Storage Card\Excel-Work\ and \\Storage Card\Excel-Home\

There are programs around that don't adhere to the MS standard, so some things may let you get to deeper sub folders than the standard applications from within the application.

To give a little background on My Documents on the WM front, prior to WM5 it worked a bit differently. You could put a My Documents folder on a Storage Card and the Apps would use that as a top level and go one folder down from there. There was a secret file, ignore_my_docs, that let that happen. If you had it the root was top and if not My Documents was top. In either case, you got one level down from top. At the time, program installations scattered all over the root directory, so having your own files in My Documents releived appearant clutter. Now Progams go into a Programs folder and other things are managed better as well, so the My Documents thing went away. The hidden ignore_my_docs was confusing at best.