View Full Version : UK Lifts Ban on FM Transmitters

Paul Martin
11-27-2006, 09:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6177820.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6177820.stm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The use of devices, such as Griffin's "iTrip", was banned in the UK as their transmissions can interfere with broadcasts by legal radio stations. However, the device and other similar accessories for MP3 players have been widely available online. Now certain FM transmitters, which can be tuned to spare frequencies, will be legal from 8 December. The new amendments will also reflect a European standard on the low-power transmitters. All approved transmitters will carry a CE mark indicating approval for sale in the European Union."</i><br /><br />A law dating back to WWII has prevented the legal use of low-power FM transmitters in the UK. Now, a change in the <a href="http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/exemption/statement/">Exemptions</a> to the Wireless Telegraphy Regulations makes them legal as long as they carry the CE mark. Though <a href="http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/rcomms/itrip/">this FAQ</a> doesn't reflect the new ruling, it does give a little insight into continued restrictions by the UK Office of Communication even after the new exemptions. If you live in the UK, did you even realize while you could legally purchase one, it was illegal to use it?

petevick
11-27-2006, 11:46 AM
They have been available on eBay for quite a while. A lot of sellers carried warnings that the use of these were illegal in the UK, but I don't think that put off any of the buyers.

It certainly didn't put me off :wink:

x51vuser
11-27-2006, 12:34 PM
If your device has not CE you can apply CE sticker yourself.
CE does not mean anything, just empty law designed to challenge FCC certification in case of some trade wars.
Interestingly in UK there are special police cars to control radio bands not only for illegal transmitters but also plain TV sets - in case you did not pay fee to use them.

Snail
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
The law was extremely difficult to police for these low power transmitters - I don't know of anyone who has been prosecuted under the Wireless Telegraphy Act for using one.

It was really set up to prevent Joe Public from setting up a radio station without a licence, which is not really a charge you could make stick in this situation!

griph
11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
The law was extremely difficult to police for these low power transmitters - I don't know of anyone who has been prosecuted under the Wireless Telegraphy Act for using one.

It was really set up to prevent Joe Public from setting up a radio station without a licence, which is not really a charge you could make stick in this situation!
Unfortunately the UK FM bandwidth (in the London area) is so crowded that there is no frequency where this will work without LW performance - I gave up and it's consigned to the bottom drawer. If anyone wants this, I'd be willing to sell for minimum cost subject to p&amp;p.

Paul Martin
11-27-2006, 05:46 PM

I wondered about that, which leads to an interesting observation by x51vuser...

Interestingly in UK there are special police cars to control radio bands not only for illegal transmitters but also plain TV sets - in case you did not pay fee to use them.

Were these police tasked with stopping those in cars with these or "pirate" radio stations? In many US states it's required for the driver and sometimes passengers to where seatbelts. However, for some of these states, you cannot stop them just for lack of a seatbelt; you would have to ticket them for some other "moving violation" like speeding, reckless driving, etc. Just wondered if you ever heard "drop that itrip and step out of the car, sir" :mrgreen:

BTW, this is my first official news post as a new Contributing Editor-in-Training, so thanks for the responses!