View Full Version : Any phones have 640x480?

magoomba
11-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Newbie here.
I want to get a Windows Mobile phone, but I want one that has VGA display.
So far I have only found 2 that meet the criteria.
1. Dopod 900
2. Sharp W-ZERO

The Dopod is too big. The Sharp is a bit smaller but not available in North America.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Sven Johannsen
11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Any special reason that is your primary requirement? It's not as though you typically get four times as much stuff on the display as you do on a 320x240 display. You generally get pretty close to the same picture but rendered with 4 times as many pixels.

Granted it is sharper. The typical 320x240 phone device, with the typically smaller screen, is pretty sharp too. 320x240 on a 4" screen might be marginal, but on a 2.7 in screen, like a K-Jam, it is pretty good.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-27-2006, 01:35 AM
2. Sharp W-ZERO

Plus it has a Japanese OS and no way to change it.

You might want to check out the O2 Flame (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52574&highlight=), which is due out soon, and there's also the HTC Omni (HTC Universal/Dopod 900 replacement) which is rumoured to be in the works and should be released by Q1 2007, but it's also rumoured to have a retail price of US$1300++.

magoomba
11-27-2006, 02:50 AM
Any special reason that is your primary requirement? It's not as though you typically get four times as much stuff on the display as you do on a 320x240 display. You generally get pretty close to the same picture but rendered with 4 times as many pixels.

Granted it is sharper. The typical 320x240 phone device, with the typically smaller screen, is pretty sharp too. 320x240 on a 4" screen might be marginal, but on a 2.7 in screen, like a K-Jam, it is pretty good.

Oh I was just thinking with a VGA screen, the PDA phone could eliminate the need for getting a PMP device.

I was also hoping to surf and I wasn't sure how well webpages show up on 320x240.

Thanks.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-27-2006, 03:16 AM
Oh I was just thinking with a VGA screen, the PDA phone could eliminate the need for getting a PMP device.

Which also one of my reasons for sticking with my Loox720 - VGA is great for video.

I was also hoping to surf and I wasn't sure how well webpages show up on 320x240.

Well, most Windows Mobile browsers do some rendering tricks to get the whole page in, but I don't think you're going to get the kind of browsing experience even with VGA - the way Windows Mobile handles the VGA screen is to pixel-double (or to be more precise pixel-fourpled ;)) everything so you'll have pretty much the same view as QVGA, except the display is sharper. There are tricks to enable 'true' VGA, but then the fonts would be too small to read, at least for me personally.

Brad Adrian
11-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I fell in love with VGA screens when I first started using them, and thought that I would NEVER go back to QVGA. But, when I got a Cingular 8125 (aka Wizard) I started to realize that the utility of the device and smaller size can outweigh a higher-resoultion screen.

I'm getting pretty old, though, and a bit sharper resolution would be nice, but I wouldn't discount a Phone Edition just because it doesn't have a VGA screen.

Sven Johannsen
11-28-2006, 04:33 AM

Well, I have an iRiver Portable Media Center with a 3.5" QVGA screen and it looks just fine for video, ripped DVDs, recorded TV, and such. Just to point out that dedicated PMP, don't necessarily have VGA screens. I would say if you get a VGA screen, you should also look for a larger screen, and you've already said the Universal is too big. So...QVGA on a smaller screen is pretty good actually.

Need to keep in mind that a 640x480 file is 4 times as big as a 320x240. That affects how much you can carry around at a time, since storage cards are limited. Yea, you can swap cards, but then you need to carry/protect them.

Just wanted to add some input to your desires and expectations.

Menneisyys
11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Well, I have an iRiver Portable Media Center with a 3.5" QVGA screen and it looks just fine for video, ripped DVDs, recorded TV, and such. Just to point out that dedicated PMP, don't necessarily have VGA screens. I would say if you get a VGA screen, you should also look for a larger screen, and you've already said the Universal is too big. So...QVGA on a smaller screen is pretty good actually.

Yup, for watching videos, a QVGA screen is better than many would think. It's mostly at Web browsing and the like that VGA screens excel at.

Hx4700
11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
A Question for those of you who don't see much difference on the QVGA screen--
Look at a spreadsheet with Pocket Excel. Then change the Zoom to 50%.
This looked readable to me on my Hx4700 with VGA and the big screen.
But it is very unreadable on my new Hw6945 with a QVGA screen.
So, is 50% Zoom hard to read because of the QVGA or is it because of the smaller 240x240 square screen???
Thanks for any replys...
Ron...