View Full Version : How to turn off only screen? But not suspend PPC?

Tye
11-25-2006, 02:49 AM
Man, I thought that this would be an easy one. Can anyone tell me how to have my PPC6700 only turn off the screen and lock the buttons when I press the power button, but not go into suspend mode.
I want to leave my IM and MP3 programs running all the time. (yup, I have the superduperextendedbattery ready to go)

tabenate
11-25-2006, 05:26 AM
Tbere's some freeware available, like Powercheck which has a Screen (LCD) off function you can aszign to a hardware button

Tye
11-25-2006, 06:24 AM
Hi tabeate,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of anything that will map to the power button? That's been the kicker, I can't find anyway to map the function I want to the power button.

Thanks!

Menneisyys
11-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi tabeate,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of anything that will map to the power button? That's been the kicker, I can't find anyway to map the function I want to the power button.

Thanks!

Are you sure no other buttons are OK? For example, ScreenLock maps to the left- and rightmost app keys simultaneously and works on all my PDA's, WM5 included.

isajoo
11-25-2006, 09:55 PM
i might just be a little tired...but how would u turn on the ppc if u were to succeed in changing the power button to only screen on/off switch.

eg. your ppc turns off by it self...how would u turn it on? soft reset switch?

use vito buttonmapper....its great for changing any button to do anything plus supports press and hold....so u could assign to functions per hardware button.

please let me know if i was wrong...like i said, I'm a bit tired...hate working weekends.

Tye
11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all of the replies. Let me explain a bit better and answer a couple of the replies.

In a nutshell, I want a way to have my PPC6700 never go into suspend mode, but I still want the screen and buttons to turn off like it was in suspend mode.

The reason that I want to map it to the power button specifically is because:
1. I want to emulate the current set up as much as possible.
2. Because it is a PPC6700. I have only a few buttons to use. The phone buttons are not an option. The hardware softkeys are not an option (personally), the remaining buttons are on the side and somewhat difficult to get to or already mapped to other functions.
3. And this is the big one. I'm used to pushing the power button to turn it off. If I map it to another button and forget to use the other button, but accidentally press the power button then it goes into suspend mode and there's nothing on the outside to indicate any difference.

I have Vito Button Mapper installed right now and I'm playing with it. I just hoped that someone might know how to use the power button specifically. It looks like it might not be possible. :(

Also, I guess it's now obvious that I also hoped that I could find a way to also turn them off after the "timeout" (thirty seconds of user inactivity). Maybe I can find a way for SKSchema to do this? Will have to look into that.

isajoo:
Resco Radio performs like this. If Radio is playing and there is no user input for a few seconds it turns off the screen and most buttons. If you press the power button then every comes back up, but it does not put the unit back into suspend mode. I just want to map this exact behavior to that button.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

ctmagnus
11-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Spb Pocket Plus has a screen-toggle function. Obviously, it can't be mapped to the power button but it can be assigned to any of your assignable buttons. The biggest issue I have with it is that it doesn't prevent other button-presses while the screen is off, and iirc the power management still kicks in if the screen is off.