View Full Version : Outlook 'Contacts' problem

John Blasdell
11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I sync Outlook 2003 on my notebook with both my Treo 700w and Axim X30 High. The Treo has become my main PDA, and the Axim is mostly a backup. I just looked at the 'Contacts' on my Axim and discovered many phone numbers are missing! Turns out the missing numbers are all the 'Company' phone number field, a field that exists in both Outlook 2003 and Windows Mobile 5, but evidently not present in WM2003SE (I notice there are several fields in WM5 and Outlook 2003 that don't exist in WM2003SE). Any way to get WM2003SE to display the Company phone number field?

Nurhisham Hussein
11-17-2006, 02:32 AM
I don't think it's possible with Pocket Outlook as is. You'll need to get a third-party PIM manager like Pocket Informant.

John Blasdell
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks. I hadn't looked at the PIM replacement programs lately. It's amazing that MS didn't include all Outlook fields in Pocket Outlook. The 'Company' phone number field isn't new in Outlook, and one that is surely used quite often!

Brad Adrian
11-27-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't have an X30, but was the addition of the Company Phone new to WM5? It shows up on my newer devices.

I'll have to go check my older ones... (searching kids' bedrooms...)

John Blasdell
01-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Desktop Outlook doesn't have an unlimited number of fields; you select whether that field wil be Mobile, Home, Work #1, etc. Palm handhelds use the same scheme. That is exactly what Windows Mobile should do! I have many contacts with more than one cell phone number, but only one with a home fax number. The Pocket Outlook fields should be more flexible.

And yes, Windows Mobile 5 is the first version to have a "Company Telephone Number" field! Did companies just start installing telephones last year?? Wow! Someone's Work Telephone Number is NOT the same thing as the main Company number.

WM 5 is also the first version where Pocket Word doesn't destroy certain elements of Word documents, and I know they've received many complaints about this over the years. Things like this make you wonder about MS. They seem to allocate resources (people) to upgrade only what people are screaming the loudest about, instead of developing and releasing the most advanced system possible.