View Full Version : What is "Download Agent" and AKU 3.0?

Joelacrane
11-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Menneisyys? Janek? Cybrid? The title says it all.

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Menneisyys? Janek? Cybrid? The title says it all.While flattering to be placed in the same company, I do have to say...
Menneisyys, Darius, Janek, Nurhisham and several others are "pros". On the other hand I'm just a tinkerer...

My guess? Download agent is an unused app for carrier's to sell proprietary applications/ ringtones/ etc through the CDMA/GSM networks like BREW. AKU3 is a service pack type deal where Microsoft pushes out updates to their base OS which the hardware manufacturers then adapt/ modify to their device, finally making its way to our greedy hands. AKU2 added MSFP? (push email) and AD2P to most devices and AKU3 is adding PAN, possibly more to the MS BT stack.

Now watch the ''pros " correct and enhance our knowledge. :D

Darius Wey
11-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Download Agent is <strike>a non-functional hunk of junk</strike> an application included in Windows Mobile 5.0 that's designed to automate the downloading of updates to the device (a bit like Windows Update on the PC). The problem is, it hasn't taken off yet. Everything is still severely tied to OEMs, meaning they're still the only realistic avenue for getting the latest updates.

This brings me on to the next point: AKU. It stands for Adaptation Kit Update, and in simple terms, they're a bit like the Windows Mobile version of Windows service packs. As Cybrid mentioned, AKU2 did add MSFP and a few other things. AKU3 added language provisioning, a new Wi-Fi connection wizard, WPA2 support, an enhanced Microsoft Bluetooth stack (the A2DP quality has been improved), a new Internet Sharing application (replacing Modem Link), Outlook Mobile tweaks, improved SIM access, and the addition of several other bug fixes and minor features.

Joelacrane
11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Sorry Darius, I knew i was forgetting someone! Cybrid, I listed you because you have answered alot of my questions quickly.

So is the AKU avalible for all devices (Like my Axim x51v) or is it the OEM's job to supply it to us? If it is, I'll never get it :cry: .

Thank you for the swift reply.

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 08:22 PM
For the AKU's I'm afraid you'd have to wait for the OEM (Dell) to get around to publishing a new ROM. Just keep your eyes peeled for news of a A13 ROM or similar...

Menneisyys
11-15-2006, 08:35 PM
As far as the BT changes in AKU3 is considered, also check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=423325

Joelacrane
11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Mainly I would be interested in the impoved WiFi stuff. Finding and connecting to a public WiFi hotspot is insanely time consuming and difficult.

Looks like my device has AKU 2.3.

Thanks for the info guys, I appriciate it.

Menneisyys
11-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Mainly I would be interested in the impoved WiFi stuff. Finding and connecting to a public WiFi hotspot is insanely time consuming and difficult.

Looks like my device has AKU 2.3.

Thanks for the info guys, I appriciate it.

Yup, A12 is based on AKU2.3