View Full Version : What weird/interesting/different things have you done with your PPC?

Joelacrane
11-13-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm looking for interesting stories! Have you ever found a really funny, weird, useless or interesting program for your PPC that allowed you to do something that PPC's weren't really designed to do?

Have you ever used your Pocket PC in a strange or tough situation?

Brad Adrian
11-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Have you ever used your Pocket PC in a strange or tough situation?
The TOUGHEST situation I've used my Pocket PC in lately was when my GPS setup showed that my wife's driving instructions were 100% wrong. I could have had the director of NASA himself sitting in the back seat of the car, telling her that the satellites had been repositioned for the sole purpose of verifying my GPS readings, and she still would have argued that I should "turn RIGHT at the next corner, dammit."

It's like the old question:

"If a tree falls in the woods and your wife doesn't believe it did, did it actually fall?"

isajoo
11-14-2006, 08:17 AM
u mean something like this...doing a google search for gspot while trying to look for it. LOL j/k

wonder if google earth can find that with gps. :idea:

Brad Adrian
11-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Maybe the thing I like the most about my Windows Mobile devices is that they've become incorporated into nearly every part of my every day life, and using them for so many things is no longer unique. Taking a quick look at things other than the usual calendar, contacts and e-mail stuff, I have documents or applications for:

Helping me remember what hours of the day my sons are in class
Starting and maintaining a Christmas gift list
Making sure I remember to pack everything I need for my trips
Listing URLs of useful WM-related sites for sharing in forums
Generating random numbers for selecting Pocket PC Thoughts giveaway winners
Jotting down post ideas for my blog
Calculating the driving time and ETA for trips -- long or short
Tracking the posting schedule, winners, etc. for Thoughts contests
Bible study and sermon note-taking
Planning what to wear, based on the day's weather forecast
Helping my wife cheat on her daily Jumble word puzzle
Looking up the meaning of big (and not-so-big) words that I hear, so I don't feel quite so stupid
Keeping a log of what I'm doing and eating on days that I get migraines
...and the list goes on and on.

I bet there are a lot of us here who use our WM devices an average of several times an hour and who are never more than twenty feet from them.

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Used a casio e-125 with a serial cable to configure my old router. Couldn't find a null modem cable. Go figure.

For the most part what I do doesn't seem tough or unusal to me so it is hard to describe what I do that'd be of interest here.

I can view TV, Movies...all media on my PC anywhere with my Pocket PC and ORB. I control my PC through terminal services. Make free Long Distance calls. I read the news through RSS. I keep track of my erratic life's details... It's my portable computer/ laptop replacement. It's almost as if my computer goes with me where ever I am. Whatver I can think of doing on a PC, I do remotely if need be...
A really good write up is here

What Can I Do With My Axim? (http://www.aximsite.com/articles/link.php?id=22)

Joelacrane
11-23-2006, 07:46 AM
I use mine for some weird stuff too, along with the normal things...

Keeping Contacts
Recording Appointments
Tasks
I take LOTS of notes
Email with Messaging
Yahoo! Mail
Live! mail
WiFi
A bit of wardriving (no recording, just looking around for fun)
Surfing the internet
Receiving and making phone calls with Skype, along with voicemails
Listening to mp3's in the car or with headphones
"stealing" pictures off friends phones via bluetooth
Terminal Services to fix problems on my Dial-up gateway computer
file sharing over wifi to get files
CF card to store mp3's
SD card slot to look at pictures taken with my digital camera
I play NES games with PocketNester
I play Worms World Party
Sometimes I view maps and photos with Virtual Earth Mobile
A light at night when i dont have a flashlight (Im serious)

I don't use it as a Bible reader, at youth group bible study, my peers think I'm nerdy enough as it is by running PowerPoint.

I could however, use a VGA out cable and PowerPoint with our projector on trips. Hmmm. Interesting.

I'd like to see a version of WM5torage that runs correctly on my x51v. Then i could leave my Muvo (mp3 player/thumbdrive. Never use it for mp3's anymore!) at home too.

In theory, I could build a cable to connect my Garmin eTrex GPS to my Axim. Money is pretty tight right now though (Senior high schooler, taking college classes), so I think I'm going to wait. The cable wouldn't be bad, but I'll bet mapping software ain't cheap.

I am working on a dash mount solution for my car. Then, I will have a pretty slick carputer. I might purchase Pocket DVD Studio and Core Player. Then, my friends in the passenger seat and back seat could watch movies and even play NES games with a bluetooth keyboard... or gamepad!!! The GPS idea might even come into play.

These things are incredbile, aren't they?! They can do SO many things.

I NEVER go ANYWHERE without my Pocket PC, unless I go trail riding on my motorcycle or something. I use it at least once every thirty minutes for something. A couple times, I've been without it, and I feel helpless!

palur
11-28-2006, 03:52 AM
Well, I created animations of certain disease conditions with Phatpad for teaching medical students.

I completed a study to benefit students to ask questions anonymously using pocket pcs and ..... (can not say much at this point). :D

Jon Westfall
11-28-2006, 05:48 AM
Hmm... I'd say the strangest thing I've ever done with mine was to use it to draw very bad artwork in Phatpad. Don't get me wrong, Phatpad is a great piece of software - my artwork is just not so good (Or maybe it's really great, just in an abstract way).

palur
11-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Phat pad actually has helped me teach parents and residents with it's animation option. It is much better tool than static images to drive home the point. It is simple to create (I am not an artist by any standards) and I could say all the parents and medical students were able to appreciate and understand even the complex conditions.

I do not mind sharing some of my animations with Phatpad (they are not the professional quality but very practical).

psyjohn
03-01-2007, 02:41 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's totally addicted to my PPC. :D 8)
I wake up to the alarm set on mine.
If I wake up in the night I read from an ebook or from the bible.
To kill time between meetings or while my wife is getting ready I play games on it.
While I'm assessing students at work I make notes on it (thanks to fitaly).
I use it as a timer in the kitchen when cooking/baking.
My shopping lists are on it.
My student/client databases are on it.
I get the news, weather, humor, blogs with each sync for reading during the day.
Right now I'm listening to some Nic Drake through the stereo speakers that my PPC is plugged into.
When I'm in a coffee shop, etc. I surf the web with it.
I've created data collection forms in pocket excel to use at work.

That's some of what I use it for. I rarely go 30 minutes without using it for something, and I back it up every couple days since my old Jornada crashed on me once and I lost everything.

Love that PPC! 8)