View Full Version : HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

developerzero
11-13-2006, 05:30 AM
I own a black Motorola MPX 220, and it just died the other day.

I bought it about a year and a half to two years ago on eBay, and it has worked fine since then (except some minor problems related to the horrible Motorola power connctor). Then about four days ago it just stopped working out of the blue.

I have checked the power connection, and there is power coming from it. The battery appears to be fine. I've tried everything I could thing of, and yet nothing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nurhisham Hussein
11-13-2006, 05:48 AM
I bought it about a year and a half to two years ago on eBay, and it has worked fine since then...The battery appears to be fine.

At that age, while it may appear to be fine, I'd suggest the battery is end-of-life. Frankly, you're probably lucky it lasted this long.

developerzero
11-13-2006, 06:00 AM
I bought it about a year and a half to two years ago on eBay, and it has worked fine since then...The battery appears to be fine.

At that age, while it may appear to be fine, I'd suggest the battery is end-of-life. Frankly, you're probably lucky it lasted this long.

I considered, that, but honstly don't think that is the problem for two reasons:
1) The battery still shows to have a charge when I put a multimeter across it.
2) It would still work when plugged into the wall, which it doesn't.

But thank you for the idea.

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 09:30 AM

I considered, that, but honstly don't think that is the problem for two reasons:
1) The battery still shows to have a charge when I put a multimeter across it.
2) It would still work when plugged into the wall, which it doesn't.

But thank you for the idea. Try turning it on and syncing. Maybe just the screen is dead.

Anything further than that is a screwdriver and solder day. www.pocketpctechs.com if you're willing to spend some repair money.

developerzero
11-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Try turning it on and syncing. Maybe just the screen is dead.

Anything further than that is a screwdriver and solder day. www.pocketpctechs.com if you're willing to spend some repair money.

The problem is: it won't turn on at all. It doesn't light up, it doesn't make a sound, nothing.

And looking at the PPCTechs site, there doesn't appear to be much that they can offer me. All they offer is a small toolkit with tools that I already own.

But thank you for the suggestion.

It's looking like I'm going to have to buy a new phone. :(

Brad Adrian
11-14-2006, 07:11 PM
FYI, a lot of wireless carriers offer significant hardware price breaks once it's been at least a year since your last phone purchas/upgrade. And, if you don't quite meet their requirements, if you talk to a live representative they can sometimes bend the rules a bit.

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 08:27 PM
The problem is: it won't turn on at all. It doesn't light up, it doesn't make a sound, nothing. I know...try it anyway.

Remove battery
Reinstall battery
press power button firmly.
Cradle. Maybe it works but prolly not.

How different is the 220 from the 200? http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Motorola_MPx200-165~area~repairs~action~updateunit.htm

If that doesn't work then open er up, look for obvious power circuit problems since nothing works....The problem is in the power supply circuits...

anonymous99
11-15-2006, 02:17 AM

Cybrid
11-15-2006, 05:16 AM
,So eloquent and yet so concise.;)

developerzero
11-18-2006, 12:19 PM
FYI, a lot of wireless carriers offer significant hardware price breaks once it's been at least a year since your last phone purchas/upgrade. And, if you don't quite meet their requirements, if you talk to a live representative they can sometimes bend the rules a bit.

I know about the discounts and such. However, there is one slight problem:
I currently have an AT&T plan, and I absolutely REFUSE to sign up for a Cingular plan.
I am on a family plan with the rest of my family, and don't want to upgrade due to the increased cost (something like $10 a month, and I lose several features I currently get such as free incoming text messages). In addition, we don't want to switch to a different carrier.

The problem is: it won't turn on at all. It doesn't light up, it doesn't make a sound, nothing. I know...try it anyway.

Remove battery
Reinstall battery
press power button firmly.
Cradle. Maybe it works but prolly not.

How different is the 220 from the 200? http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Motorola_MPx200-165~area~repairs~action~updateunit.htm

If that doesn't work then open er up, look for obvious power circuit problems since nothing works....The problem is in the power supply circuits...

As for the removing battery, restarting thing... I've tried it a few dozen times, even tryig leaving it unplugged a couple days and retrying it, but nothing.

I honestly don't know what the difference is between the 200 & 220, beyond looks and a little difference in raw power.

Also, I've tried opening it up, got halfway, than had trouble getting it to come apart (it kinda stuck). I'm going to try again when I get time.