View Full Version : Dialup Via Cellular Line

JasonSilver
11-13-2006, 01:24 AM
It doesn't make sense to me... I've got a Ipaq 6325 with a built in cellular phone, yet I can't dial in to my ISP using the cell line to make a dial-up Internet connection.

Or can I?

I've been scrubbing the Internet looking for info on how I might do this-- perhaps a software modem?

Isn't it strange that when I set up a new connection, I can choose Bluetooth, Bluetooth Dial up Modem, Cellular Line, GPRS, Generic IrDA, or Hayes Compatible on Com 1. But when I choose Cellular Line as the modem option, it tries to connect to GPRS.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jason Silver

Cybrid
11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
What you are attempting to do is called CSD. Do a google for Howard forums threads.

I wish I could help further.

GSmith
11-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Here's a decent overview of CSD: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=370299#370299

I'm not sure the current status of what the carriers are charging for CSD (used to be charged as if they were voice "minutes") or whether they are even supporting it anymore. I think the iPaq 6325 is a Cingular device so you may want to investigate their MediaNET plans. Specifically their unlimited data plans. You should be able to get an unlimited WEB access for around $20 per month. (Make sure it's WEB and not just WAP). They'll try to charge you more for unlimited data using a PDA, but as far as I can tell, they really can't tell the difference between a PDA and a Smartphone. MediaNET, if not unlimited, is charged per Megabyte with a fixed number of Megabytes, then additional Megabytes at a specific rate.

When you do this, you won't be connecting through your own ISP, you will be connecting directly to the internet through Cingular's servers (Cingular is acting as the ISP).

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone or Pocket PC.
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

tom dunne
11-15-2006, 05:19 PM
It depends on whether your phone company supports it.

Find out from them first - they should also be able to provide you with the settings.