View Full Version : Caps key utility

bostonnerd
11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Sorry to bother you folks again but....is there a utility available to have the WM5 Caps/Alt key functions look like a Blackberry or Treo? IE holding an alpha key creates capital and holding space key creates a period (or something close)? Platform is an HP 6925.

Brad Adrian
11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
I haven't found anything that does things exactly like a Blackberry, and it had some spiffy ways of speeding things up. You might look at two applications:

PQZ www.nicque.com/PQz
This lets you re-map keys to do just about anything.

AutoCorrector www.pocketkai.de
This one does just what your AutoCorrect in Word does; you type in a shortcut and it types in the full text

Maybe one or both of these two will help give you what you need.

Brad Adrian
11-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Oh, and BTW...

Sorry to bother you folks again but...

It is entirely NO bother at all. That's one of the main reasons we're all here, to talk about and help each other with this platform we enjoy.

hbcollins
12-04-2006, 02:47 AM
I truly loved KeyCaps600 on my treo 650; now also looking for a similar utility for my new 700wx. Once you get used to it, it's verrry hard to go back to the traditional two-key two step!

rhmorrison
12-04-2006, 03:53 PM
The standard keyboard allows you to create upper/lower case letters with one motion. Use simple press for lower case, press and move up for upper case. Nothing could be simpler - and it's built-in - I use this with my PocketPC 2002 Jornada 568 all the time.

If you open the keyboard options dialog you will see:
Press Move Right = Space
Press Move up = Shift + key
Press Move Left = Backspace
Press Move Down = EnterWhy do you need an extra program?

islandsnow
12-05-2006, 05:02 AM
i don't think you understood the original question? keycaps was great for the treo. for example, if you want a lowercase k, you press k. if you want a capital K, you press k and hold, and it will convert the letter to uppercase. or if you want the colon : which is associated with the k key, you press the k key twice rapidly. all configurable.

keycaps was a GREAT application and i miss it too on my ipaq 6945.

what is opening the keyboard options dialog? what am i moving right or up or left? they joystick?

The standard keyboard allows you to create upper/lower case letters with one motion. Use simple press for lower case, press and move up for upper case. Nothing could be simpler - and it's built-in - I use this with my PocketPC 2002 Jornada 568 all the time.

If you open the keyboard options dialog you will see:
Press Move Right = Space
Press Move up = Shift + key
Press Move Left = Backspace
Press Move Down = EnterWhy do you need an extra program?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Why do you need an extra program?

Because he's talking about the hardware keyboard and you're talking about the software keyboard.

JamesM
12-05-2006, 05:53 AM
How about Qcaps? I can't vouch for it, and the price is steeper ($15) than keycaps (free), but worth a shot.

www.qoolapps.com

I too, miss the Treo functionality on my MDA.

Hope this helps,
James

islandsnow
12-05-2006, 06:11 AM
hey this looks like it does the trick (although not free like keycaps :( )

but its only for smartphone for now.

How about Qcaps? I can't vouch for it, and the price is steeper ($15) than keycaps (free), but worth a shot.

www.qoolapps.com

I too, miss the Treo functionality on my MDA.

Hope this helps,
James

JamesM
12-06-2006, 04:23 AM
It said somewhere on the site that it works on Pocket PC as well. I'd try it.
James

islandsnow
12-06-2006, 04:36 AM
James

let us know if you try it :wink:

JamesM
12-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't hold your breath. $15 is too much for a single utility app in my book, no matter how much I like it.

islandsnow
12-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Don't hold your breath. $15 is too much for a single utility app in my book, no matter how much I like it.

i hear ya. same here.

bostonnerd
12-07-2006, 02:58 PM
James

So did you )or anyone lese) try it?

Brad Adrian
12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I just tried it on my Cingular 8125 (Wizard), and it didn't work entirely correctly; the "alternate" characters (like the ?, !, ;) are mapped to the MotoQ keyboard, which is a little different from mine.

I would REALLY love for this to work on my device, though. It is MUCH quicker to hold a key down for a split second than to press two keys (i.e., FN+9) and I had gotten used to the way the Blackberry inserts a period and space if you press the space bar twice. If/when this gets revised to work on my Wizard, I'd very willingly pay $15 for it because of how it can speed up keyboard entry.