View Full Version : Urgent ActiveSync help needed! 6 hours left!

darrank
11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey guys,

I'm new to all this Pocket PC stuff and need your help with my device...

I've got an SPV m600 on Orange (UK) which has started playing up (crashes every ten minutes, blank screens, touch screen not working, cannot make calls - you name it, it's doing it!)... I've spoken to Orange and they are sending a replacement out in about 6 hours...

While I'm VERY happy with the service I need to get all the information off of the phone and onto my computer so I don't lose it all... that's where my problem has come from.

When I can manage to get the phone booted up and running properly (a complete nightmare on its own) I can only rarely get it to syncronise with the PC without the phone crashing out on me.

When it does work it sync's properly, the emails, calendar and tasks update - superb... however I'm now in need of it syncing the contacts from my phone into Outlook 2003 so that I don't lose them all. I've selected the 'contacts' box on the activesync settings on the phone, and according to active sync it worked with the 100 contacts on the phone... however I cannot find them on my PC :(

Any ideas if Activesync actually did do as I asked? Does it hide them in a file/folder somewhere I'm not looking?

Help! I can't copy them all to the SIM card because they've all got addresses and numerous phone numbers attached to the same name and the SIM won't accept that...

In 6 hours I'll lose the handset and get a new one but I can't afford to lose all of these contacts! :crazyeyes:

martin_ayton
11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
I may be too late (it's 1:10pm) but FWIW...

ActiveSync should just add stuff from your PDA to your Outlook Contacts folder. Since there aren't any sync settings to get wrong with Contacts and since you are rapidly running out of time, I would be very tempted to delete the partnership on the PC (File> Delete Mobile Device) and start over. Even if all you manage to do is to get a gust partnership going, it should at least allow you to extract those names and numbers.

As a final, last ditch plan: Get yourself a backup app and backup everything on the PDA to your PC. Then, you can restore onto the new device (and hopefully you won't restore all the faults at the same time!). I think the best option you have here is Sprite Backup http://www.spritesoftware.com/ I don't know if they do a functioning demo, but a backup app really is a must-have piece of software anyhow. If the restore doesn't work, Sprite may well help you to extract the relevant information from the backup file.

All the best!

darrank
11-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Excellent!

Deleted the link and set it all up again and it sync'd properly! :wink:

Thanks for the advice, I'm now the proud owner of a brand new m600 without all the 'habits' my last one had!

I'll download the backup software now too, seems like a good idea after all these fun and games!

Thanks for all your help and advice, :D
Darran