View Full Version : What is a 'memory leak' and how do you know the faulty app?

Lex
10-31-2006, 01:29 AM
I have a lesser-known Today screen plugin which displays daily appointments but it often displays less appointments for a day than there are. 2 of 4 are displayed for example. If I reset the PPC, all are displayed. Is this characteristic of a 'memory leak'? I'm in touch with the developer but would still pose the question in my subject line.

applejosh
10-31-2006, 02:36 AM
Without being a programmer (mostly) or knowing any specifics of the app, I'd say this is not indicative. From what I've read, and this is probably an extremely watered down explanation, memory leaks usually occur when an app (or process of some sort) allocates memory, and then doesn't give it back when it's done using that memory space. Then the next time it needs memory to do something, it allocates more and doesn't release it when finished. The result is a (usually) gradual reduction in the amount of program memory that is available to the OS and other apps. Does your "free" program memory get smaller and smaller? If there is none left, then that might explain why it's only displaying part of the day's appointments, but I'd wager that's not necessarily the case here as I'm sure you'd see other things happening (like error messages, other apps not launching or hanging all the time). But again, just purely speculation on my part.

SteveHoward999
10-31-2006, 02:58 AM
... just purely speculation on my part.

I agree. I'd have said similar.

I'll also add that I've tried several Today plugins and all have been unreliable in some way or other, and calendar plugins I've used all fail in the way you describe occasionally. If you don't like it, don't use it. Today plugins sap performance anyway :-)

Lex
10-31-2006, 03:17 AM
Thanks guys. This one's a pretty useful plugin. 'AlarmToday'. It fixes the notification bug, all alarms sound off on time, allows MP3's for daily alarms and comes with an alarm note feature. I've abandoned the big name PIMs so this is handy along with SuperCalendar. The developer is getting bugs out pretty regularly. I've never observed my memory readouts steadily decreasing so it must not be leakage.

SteveHoward999
10-31-2006, 03:25 AM
This one's a pretty useful plugin. 'AlarmToday'.

Yup I'm using that. It does what you described on my machine too.

I'm interested in any updates to this as I like it in spite of the flaws ;-)

Lex
10-31-2006, 03:31 AM
Steve, keep an eye on this: http://www.pocketmax.net/at_changes.html

SteveHoward999
10-31-2006, 03:37 AM
Steve, keep an eye on this: http://www.pocketmax.net/at_changes.html

Yeah I already downloaded the latest version. I was on 2.43. Sheesh! Usually I keep on top of updates!!!

Brad Adrian
11-02-2006, 02:58 PM
FWIW, if you can stand to do a soft-reset say, first thing every.morning, you might be able to forego most of these problems.

Lex
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
FWIW, if you can stand to do a soft-reset say, first thing every.morning, you might be able to forego most of these problems. Good ol' Microsoft ! They should have put the reset button on front of PPCs about the size of the Staples 'Easy' button. :lol:

Brad Adrian
11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
...about the size of the Staples 'Easy' button. :lol:
That's not a bad idea (although the reset button location is a function of the hardware, of course). I use Spb Software House's PocketPlus, and it lets you assign either a small or large screen icon to apps. So, I assign a large one to the soft-reset utility; that way I can perform a soft reset from the Today screen with my oversized fingers and don't need to pull out the stylus, find the reset hole, etc.

isajoo
11-03-2006, 05:21 AM
even in better, use a backup app on ur ppc like sbp backup. it does a backup and also soft resets based on user schedule. once a day. anytime like, 5 in the morning. much easier then yell at ur ppc in public because of memory lock ups. give it a try, its a win win situation.