View Full Version : ActiveSync is a synching fiend, how do I stop it from synching every 10 seconds?

purefusion
10-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Okay, so it's more like every minute. But I really only need it to synch every hour, or something more spread out. MS is overdoing it here with this minutely deal....

So, anyone know a way?

azmansell
11-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Okay, so it's more like every minute. But I really only need it to synch every hour, or something more spread out. MS is overdoing it here with this minutely deal....

So, anyone know a way?

Go into active-sync, click "options"

there should be a tab for "schedule"

from there you should be able to change the sync times etc

hope this helps
az

purefusion
11-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Ok, I see a big schedule button right on the main screen now. But it's grayed out when no device is connected. That's pretty dumb. Of course, ActiveSync is pretty dumb itself. Usability on it sucks.

Thanks for the help!

purefusion
11-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Strike that, it's all grayed out even when the dang thing is connected. Man, ActiveSync is pure trash... this really sucks.... Microsoft needs to get their act together.

azmansell
11-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Strike that, it's all grayed out even when the dang thing is connected. Man, ActiveSync is pure trash... this really sucks.... Microsoft needs to get their act together.

just double check for me that when your device is connected, activesync says ''connected'' , also, have you waited for the syncronisation process to complete?
-az
az

azmansell
11-04-2006, 12:35 AM
which version of activesync do you have by the way?

Sven Johannsen
11-04-2006, 09:06 PM

So, anyone know a way?

I'm going to assume you are using AS4.x and a WM5 device. The sync cycle is actually 5 minutes, and no you cannot change it. It seems to be triggered by the existance of a USB connection on the PPC side.

There are some kludges around that involve entering a phony Exchange Server, but I think that makes syncing when you want to more difficult. Haven't tried it myself, I just put up with the syncing and have a power cable available when I just want to charge.

purefusion
11-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Yes it does say connected, and I have waited for sync to finish. And I'm on the latest non-beta. I used the beta on another machine, but I believe it was the same there. My question is, why offer the buttons if there's no way we can use them? How dumb is Microsoft? Oh yes... they're idiots.

So yes, WM5 (PPC6700). Had it over a year now, and it's nice. Just AS stinks. Is there any other 3rd party programs that sync?

Nurhisham Hussein
11-06-2006, 02:26 AM
Is there any other 3rd party programs that sync?

Most I've heard of use AS as a conduit, and none are freeware - so I don't think you've much option at the moment.

azmansell
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
[quote=purefusion]Is there any other 3rd party programs that sync?

ok, this one dosent sync but it is really handy...
its called card export and it allows you to simply plug your ppc into your computer and the storage cards will come up as extra drives (you can switch between this option and active sync from the ppc itself).

i use this alot at work as the works computer is locked down and wont allow me to install activesync.

http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/