View Full Version : Help - my pocket pc has gone mad! (or is it bewitched???)

karinatwork
10-26-2006, 07:03 AM
I don't understand... all day long it's fine, when my pocket pc backs itself up, during the backup process the ringer starts to ring. And with ringer, I mean RINGER, that utterly annoying ring that comes with the Jamin. I haven't set that ringer for nothing, it's too annoying. Yet it rings. It rings for a couple of times, then stops. The backup finishes, it rings. The PPC resets itself, it rings. The pocket pc does nothing, it rings. It rings short, or long. It gets interrupted. Then 10 minutes nothing. Then ringing. Then 5 minute nothing... then ringing. I don't touch the damn thing for 15 minutes, but then again - it rings. LIKE A PHONE CALL FROM BEYOND!!! 8O Soft resetting doesn't do a thing (other than more ringing, of course). After about 30 minutes or so, gradually the ringing episodes get less, and finally it stops completely. This is the second night in a row that it did that, beginning with the scheduled backup at 22:30.

Help me - if the ringing wakes my husband up one more time he's going to flush my Jamin down the toilet! :cry: One night it happened at my scheduled backup time of 2:30 AM and we almost fell out of bed. Ever since my pocket pc is not allowed at my bedside table anymore...

Thanks for any input!

P.S.: This is NOT a halloween joke!

martin_ayton
10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Hard reset and one-by-one re-installation of apps (or, if you're brave and still have the file, a backup from before the ringing started). Now, that is a halloween nightmare :(

pheral
10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
i reckon there's some person out there desperately trying to get in touch with you, wondering why the heck you never answer your phone!!

:wink:

Good luck sorting it out. :D

karinatwork
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
(or, if you're brave and still have the file, a backup from before the ringing started). (

Did that. Didn't help...
I don't want to hard reset.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :bawl:

Mark Kenepp
10-26-2006, 05:20 PM
So your Jamin works without issue except that it rings whenever you run the scheduled backups?

Does it happen when you do a manual backup?

It happens when the device resets after the backup, does it happen when you reset the device yourself?

What it is the backup program you are using?

Is the Jamin a Windows Mobile 5 device?

karinatwork
10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
So your Jamin works without issue except that it rings whenever you run the scheduled backups?

Yes. I also found out that it only rings if I had recently used the alarm settings (not set, just used them and then disactivated them and even if I used a different ringer for the alarm)

Does it happen when you do a manual backup?

Let me try, doing a backup right now... Oh no, it seems I've awakened the ringer ghost. It starts ringing after the initial reset of the backup program, and while it is backing up, it rings irratically, chopped off, not even a whole ringtone at times. After the final reset created by the program, it's quiet until the today screen comes up, and now it's ringing again like crazy. No, and nobody is phoning me! Now it's even vibrating!?! WTF??? (Excuse my French)

It happens when the device resets after the backup, does it happen when you reset the device yourself?

No. All quiet.

What it is the backup program you are using?

Sprite Backup 5.1

Is the Jamin a Windows Mobile 5 device?

Yes.

Gosh.... it's still ringing.

8O

karinatwork
10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
I now uninstalled Sprite Backup and soft reset the device.
It's ringing and vibrating now too!!!!

And now the ringtone that I had set as alarm is going off as well...

HELP!

Mark Kenepp
10-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I now uninstalled Sprite Backup and soft reset the device.
It's ringing and vibrating now too!!!!

Hmmm, that would have been my first suggestion.

Have you contacted Sprite Support, maybe find out if there is some way to manually make sure that the software is totally removed from your system?

You could even give reinstalling Sprite Backup a shot. If something corrupted some of the support files then maybe a reinstall may overwrite them.

I am wondering if it is a Sprite Backup issue at all. It may be that Sprite just makes it show up.

Do you have any alarm enhancements installed?

Do you have any alarms set at all?

When your Jamin rings, does it look like there are alarms going off or is it just ringing?

It is sounding like a hard reset may be the only thing that can clear it. Other than that, you might try to remove applications that you think might be related to alarms (or utilities that run at startup).

It would be nice if a developer who understands how to program rings would jump in here and give some insight as to what might be happening. I personally don't understand how it works.

freemans
10-27-2006, 01:46 AM
You may try hard reset your device, then restore it to your previous image if you possibly have.

I heard my friends JamIn, it vibrates and flases when turns on , I doubt it was not the software problem. or you may be go and ask imate guys.

Cheer :)

Nurhisham Hussein
10-27-2006, 04:33 AM
I'm thinking here that something's fouled up in your notifications queue. karinaatwork, do you have any software like Memmaid or SKTools? These can check for duplicates in the queue, and you can eyeball for trash entries as well.

ctmagnus
10-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Well, you can't say it isn't persistent. ;)

I second the idea of MemMaid. Another thing is that Pocket Informant (if you're running it) has an option to recreate alarms. That may correct things also.