View Full Version : How to make a Universal act as a modem?

martin_ayton
10-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a friend who bought a Universal a while back with a main aim of using it as a modem to allow him to connect his laptop to the internet at 3G speeds while he is mobile.

Problem is, it has never worked reliably. It will hook up with the laptop, but the connection gets dropped after - at most - 30 seconds. I'm going to see him in early November, and it would be great to have a few things to try to help him get this working. Any suggestions?

Menneisyys
10-28-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a friend who bought a Universal a while back with a main aim of using it as a modem to allow him to connect his laptop to the internet at 3G speeds while he is mobile.

Problem is, it has never worked reliably. It will hook up with the laptop, but the connection gets dropped after - at most - 30 seconds. I'm going to see him in early November, and it would be great to have a few things to try to help him get this working. Any suggestions?

This is a very common problem. Try reducing the connection speed setting to, say, 1200 bps if you use a Bleutooth connection between the two devices. (Don't be afraid - it has NO effect on the real speed.)

If it doesn't help, try using another connection method - for example, if you used Bluetooth so far, switch to USB and vice versa.

If nothing helps, install the 3.2 ROM and use Internet Sharing. It's more reliable and stable than DUN in pre-AKU3 ROM's. Let me know if you want to go this way and I elaborate on it more.

martin_ayton
11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks Werner. That's very helpful (as ever :) ). I'll let you know how it goes.