View Full Version : Can anyone explain the definitions of smartphone, pocket pc, pocket pc phone?

Elea
10-21-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm having a trivial exchange with a colleague of mine about Windows Mobile and the terms that go along with it; smartphone, pocket pc and pocket pc phone. I've gone to the FAQ on Microsoft’s website but it does not really satisfy my inquiry. Here are the two sides of the argument

One says; Windows Mobile 5.0 has 3 versions, Smartphone, Pocket PC Phone and Pocket PC. Which it is to be understood that all three versions are Microsoft Operating Systems, albeit each a different version of Windows Mobile but, in fact, are in reference to the Operating Systems.

The other says; these terms are not operating systems but products or devices and says "(Pocket PC is not am operating system. It is a word that stands for a group of products that are cell phones that act like PC's)" and in particular says "again Smartphone OS is not an operation system of Microsoft but a generic name for operation systems for smart phones."

Can anyone clarify these to positions or at least give what the correct interpertations are and how they should be understood.

Any input or clear exposition would be greatly appreciated.

ADBrown
10-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Pocket PC: a handheld computer with a 3-4 inch touch sensitive screen, running Windows Mobile 5.0.

Pocket PC phone: A device which combines Pocket PC functions as well as a cellular phone. They're typically somewhat smaller than regular Pocket PCs, and almost always include thumb keyboards. The OS is slightly different than that of a standard Pocket PC, to accomodate phone-related functions, but the basic interface is the same.

Smartphone (or Windows Smartphone): A device which looks much more like a typical phone, and does not have a touchscreen. Examples are the T-Mobile SDA and Cingular 3125. Can have either a twelve-key numeric pad or a small keyboard. Smartphones still run on Windows Mobile 5.0, but they can only run software which is designed to not require a touchscreen. The interface has also been somewhat altered for better viewing on small screens, and for navigation without a touchscreen.

These devices are sometimes called Windows Smartphones or WM Smartphones to distinguish them from other kinds of "smartphones," which can be used as a generic term for many other cellular smart devices such as Palm Treos, Blackberries, even Pocket PC phones.

So the first argument is the correct one, even though it's true that the term "smartphone" can be generic as well.

Elea
10-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Thank you for responding. I appreciate the clarity and thoughtfulness put into it.

Does anyone else have any remarks, either for the arguments or the judgement made by ADBrow? Even merely as a "agree" or "disagree" to the judgement made.

Kindest Regards,

VisualMonster
10-26-2006, 05:42 PM
ADBrow's response looks good to me. Only thing I'd clarify is that Pocket PC's can also have different OS's other than WM 5.0. There is also Pocket PC 2002 (pretty old), Windows Mobile 2003, and Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

People too often use the term Smart Phone and PPC Phone interchangeably.... and it drives me nuts!

Nurhisham Hussein
10-27-2006, 04:40 AM
ADBrow's response looks good to me. Only thing I'd clarify is that Pocket PC's can also have different OS's other than WM 5.0. There is also Pocket PC 2002 (pretty old), Windows Mobile 2003, and Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

Actually you'll find versions of these OSs in all three categories (except PC2002 for smartphone).