View Full Version : frustrated, IPAQ hx2490b need help please touchscreen problems

emboli
10-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi guys, ive written here before about this problem and its occured again and i need help.

I bought an IPAQ last month IPAQ hx2490 brand new and only used it a few days before the centre of the touchscreen developed problems. It didnt register my stylus and felt like there was a bubble there. I first noticed it when entering a password and one of the keys didnt register, after resetting it i couldnt get out of the alignment screen.

I rang up HP got an indian lady who repeatedly asked me to reset it which i did many times. After a few minutes she asked me to send it to Teleplan. It took 2 weeks to repair and they shipped it to me when i specifically asked them not to. I had a talk to the engineer and he told me that it was a common defect with the IPAQ and they were out of parts due to the demand! =p

But that isnt the problem. Ive been very careful with the screen nowadays, and try not to use it at all and ive bought a case for my IPAQ just in case. Just 4 days ago the same problem has recurred. The same bubble near the centre of the touchscreen has appeared and it doesnt register any touches from my stylus.

Im going to ring up HP again, i cannot keep reformatting my IPAQ and resending it every few weeks, as it takes a long time to reinstall my applications and work documents. sigh.

Has anyone else have the same problem as me? If so please help me and give me hints as to how this defect occurs so that it wont happen again.

Thanks

David_C
10-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I can't provide any tips on having that problem not happen again, sounds like you are taking the necessary steps in that regard, but:

As far as taking a long time to reload apps etc, have you considered using a backup program for that.

I use SPB Backup, it makes the backup file into an executible, which I store on my storage card. If I need to do a hard reset, I just go to that file and run it. I;ve done that in the past and it seems to work pretty good for me.

Dave

freemans
10-24-2006, 02:10 AM
Yep, if you always have issue with the device, itll be nice to have a backup software installed. and since you may have different ROM devices after the repairing. You may try Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com), since it features restore after the ROM change function.

I never have screen problems, but hope you get your iPAQ fixed. :)

Janak Parekh
10-24-2006, 04:01 AM
Has anyone else have the same problem as me? If so please help me and give me hints as to how this defect occurs so that it wont happen again.
Unfortunately, I don't own one, and haven't heard much about this, but one thing to consider might be to apply a screen protector if you haven't already.

Also - if it recurs yet again, I would (politely) escalate it at HP, and perhaps consider asking for a different unit or a refund.

Good luck.

--janak