View Full Version : HTC Wizard, iGuidance and BT-77 GPS

Heywood43
10-20-2006, 07:38 PM
First let me say that I love the phone, iGuidance and the BT-77 receiver individually.

Here are my specs:

HTC Wizard
ROM Version: 2.25.11.1 WWE 5/11/06
Radio Version: 02.25.11
Protocol Version: 4.1.13.12
ExtROM Version 2.25.11.102

iGuidance version 2.1NA

BT-77 GPS Bluetooth Receiver
http://www.bluetoothgpstips.com/bt77_bluetooth_gps_review.html

I have used the iGuidance software and BT-77 receiver on a laptop flawlessly. I have also used it on my HTC Wizard but with lots of problems. It seems to stem from the inability to connect to the GPS receiver successfully on a regular basis. If I had to label it I would say maybe 10% of the time it connects. And that’s after repeatedly turning the BT-77 on and off and toggling COM ports on the iGuidance software. Otherwise the HTC/iGuidance combo fails to see the device.

I thought maybe the BT-77 GPS device was the issue but I think that is not the case since the laptop works with it with out a problem. I also downloaded another GPS program and it also has the same problem. That leads me to believe the issue is with the HTC Wizard being able to connect successfully to the BT-77. I have read here that the Bluetooth on HTC is crap. While I agree the user interface for BT connections isn't the greatest, my other devices seem to co-operate with it.

Does anyone have any insight as o why the Wizard may have a problem connecting to the BT-77?

Are there any logs I can look at to troubleshoot this? Is the Bluetooth version on the Wizard indeed crap?

If so can I update it somehow other than a regular ROM update?

Any comments or advice are welcome.

Thank you.

Heywood43
10-22-2006, 04:59 AM
after some web browsing, I found this application:

http://www.freewareppc.com/communication/autodetectgps.shtml

its a simple app that cycles through your ports and lets you know the speed if it does detect a bluetooth gps device.

I was using that port previously but for whatever reason it seems like iGuidance detected it after using this app. In any case this is a handy tool and figured i'd let people know about it.

Paragon
10-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Next time you may want to try this, if you haven't already: Go to Bluetooth settings/com ports, and choose a new outgoing port. It may take you a few tries to find one that is not in use. You then go to your GPS settings in iGuidance and choose that port. This eliminates the need for the software to search out the proper port.

Dave

Heywood43
10-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks Dave. I believe your right and it is an incoming port issue. When I initially pair the GPS device in my Bluetooth setup I assign the incoming port. In my case it is # 6. But for whatever reason, I have the software working with the GPS receiver one minute and the next time I go to use it the device does not get picked up (with no port settings changed).

One thing I have noticed using the auto detect GPS program is that although the port remains the same the baud rate fluctuates. Now I don’t know if this has any bearing on my problems but I did successfully connect after I ran the auto detect and then changed the baud rate to match what was found. I am going to play around with toggling baud rates next time I can’t connect and see what happens.

This Bluetooth on the HTC Wizard is very touchy....

Thanks again for the suggestion.