View Full Version : Help with 2100 series.....

grossell95
10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Hello I have a problem and being a ipaq virgin i am lost ,i have followed the simple instructions and still when i copy a file from my doc on my laptop into pocket pc my doc folder it does not show on my pocket pc in pocket excel for example even after sync

When i look in programmes, file explorer its there, however when i do start, pocket excel, buisness folder it is not.!!!

:( ,very confused, feeling very old and missing my palm? :(

Cybrid
10-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Hello I have a problem and being a ipaq virgin i am lost ,i have followed the simple instructions and still when i copy a file from my doc on my laptop into pocket pc my doc folder it does not show on my pocket pc in pocket excel for example even after sync

When i look in programmes, file explorer its there, however when i do start, pocket excel, buisness folder it is not.!!!

:( ,very confused, feeling very old and missing my palm? :(

I have a feeling that this could be something simple. Windows Mobile uses the same directory tree structure as Desktop Windows.
If where you want the file is my documents>business sub-folder then please check that your page is not located in the my documents root folder.
Alternatively clicking on it through file explorer will regardless open it.

grossell95
10-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Good afternoon cybrid, Thanks for your prompt reply.I agree age does not always bring wisdom,but some times forgetfulness it does! I forgot to mention that i tried to open file in explorer and i was prompted with unable to open file without a application. told to go to application and open file from there however the file is not within the folder in the application. what next !!! :oops: thanks mingus

Cybrid
10-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Good afternoon cybrid, ... thanks mingus

Sounds like a damaged file association. In essence the registry which tells the PPC what application to open a file with e.g. **.JPG=Photo Viewer, **.doc=Word and **.xls=Excel has been altered. This is usually from poorly written applications which after being uninstalled did not relinquish the association back to Pocket Excel. This is why it wouldn't open from File Explorer and Pocket Excel (designed to ignore unrecognized extensions) didn't see it.

Tip #100: Changing File Associations
Why do .jpg image files open automatically in Pocket Internet Explorer when you tap them? Because that file type—".jpg"—is "associated" with that application. Can you change this association, so that .jpg's will open automatically in another image-viewing application? Yes, you can, and you can change other file associations as well. But you can't do it with the File Explorer that comes with your Pocket PC. File associations are created in the Registry of your Pocket PC, and the Registry is not accessible through the Pocket PC OS interface. (This is because even a slight error in editing the Registry can make the machine unusable.) If you are technically minded, you can get a Registry editor and make the appropriate changes to the Registry yourself. (Please, back everything up first!) For a list of free and shareware Registry editors, see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/Jul01/reghack.stm . Or, you can use an application like PalmTweak, a free program that can change file associations and many other system settings as well, such as system fonts, scrollbar settings, and device power off time. PalmTweak can change your Registry settings (and change them back) without endangering the functionality of your device.
http://tillanosoft.com/ce/ptweak.html
Plagiarized from here. (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/newsl_ceu/CEUpdate.asp?num=100)

grossell95
10-15-2006, 05:37 PM
i have microsoft works spreedsheet running on my laptop and pocket excel on my ipaq ppc they will not sync is this because of microsoft works and will it sync if i install microsoft excel

any answers would help!!

Nurhisham Hussein
10-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Exactly what do you mean "they do not sync"? Any file placed in the <devicename> My Documents folder ought to be synced if you have that option ticked - if it's outside this folder, it won't be.

Cybrid
10-17-2006, 02:52 AM
i have microsoft works spreedsheet running on my laptop and pocket excel on my ipaq ppc they will not sync is this because of microsoft works and will it sync if i install microsoft excel

any answers would help!! That might be a cause;

MS Works doesn't normally save a spreadsheet in a format PPC's can read. Have you managed to convert them to an Excel compatible file? Valid extensions such as .xls or .xlt?
File syncing is not similar to Contacts/ Appointment syncing. As Nurhisham Hussein said placing it in the my documents folder should automatically copy it over. If I have misunderstood, please elaborate.

grossell95
10-17-2006, 11:08 AM

any answers would help!! That might be a cause;

MS Works doesn't normally save a spreadsheet in a format PPC's can read. Have you managed to convert them to an Excel compatible file? Valid extensions such as .xls or .xlt?
File syncing is not similar to Contacts/ Appointment syncing. As Nurhisham Hussein said placing it in the my documents folder should automatically copy it over. If I have misunderstood, please elaborate.

The files do copy to the PPC when I synch so that's not a problem.

I've tried saving my MS Works Spreadsheets as XLS files and this means that they now appear on my PPC but when I try to open the file I get a simple error message!

"An Error Occurred while opening [file name]"

I've tried a hard boot on my PPC as well and that did nothing.

Cybrid
10-18-2006, 01:22 AM
A quick google.
8/23/04
All
If you save a spreadsheet in Microsoft Works and specify the .XLS format, Pocket Excel cannot open it.
Open issue.* The workaround is to open the .XLS file created in Works with Excel and save it again.
Source. (http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/bugs/windowsmobile2003.htm)
It seems there is a known bug not yet fixed. Apparently, by using Open Office or Excel to open and then resave...you could get it to work on the PPC this way but the long term solution would be to move over to Excel.