View Full Version : Your thoughts:Replacing my broken Toshiba E335?

always learning
10-12-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm a public school teacher in Seattle. I've been using a PPC as an organizer for basics: grading, notes, addresses, scheduling. My Toshiba is now dead- no soft or hard restart, & synch does nothing.

It's time to replace it. I love the idea of WiFi access, and do not want to merge my phone with my pda. I have a limited budget- ideally under $200.00, but maybe you have info I am not familiar with to nudge me to spend more?

This is not my area of expertise, so your help is sincerely appreciated.

1) How do you feel about buying used? If so, where should I look bessides here, craigslist & ebay?

2) Which model(s) would you recommend & why?
(Should I consider a used Toshiba e750/755 replacement so I can use my case?)

3) If you have an available model in my price range to sell, please PM me.

Thanks.

Cybrid
10-12-2006, 04:20 PM
For Value! try Dell,
At present I just read an announcement by Jason that the X51v is $349 CDN. So a Non-Vga one might be close to your budget.
Buying used is not a problem, I've done so many times. The trick is to be very careful.

always learning
10-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the Dell suggestion. Other than here, Craigslist or ebay, any thoughts on where I can find a used one?

The Dell site has the X51 @416MHZ or 520 mhz. What, if anything, does the quicker processor give me? I have no interest in gaming. The 416mhz is $224 on the Dell site.

Thanks again

Cybrid
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
The X51v is a VGA screen meaning 4x the pixels of the older QuarterVGA PPC'S like the E-335. It needs the extra speed/ graphics accelerator to compensate for the higher work load.
In all the Mid (520Mhz) to Basic (416Mhz) difference is nominal. Some things might respond faster and playing a movie might run slightly smoother. Unless you're satisfied with simple PDA functions, buying a little more PDA than you currently need leaves room for growth.

eBay & Craig's list are most likely to give you the best online results. Kijiji (eBay owned) will have local listings which trims shipping charges.
Your local buy/sell ads for more.

always learning
10-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Took the plunge & went through Dell for a new one. 25% off, free shipping. Meant to be. Thanks.